ReplayGain

Share your Audacity/Nyquist plug-ins here, or test drive the latest plug-ins submitted by Audacity users.

After testing a plug-in from this forum, please post feedback for the plug-in author.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: ReplayGain

Post by steve » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:29 pm

noiseboyuk wrote: as far as you know, will the ReplayGain figure given by your plugin in Audacity be a pretty reliable indicator of what Spotify will do to a track
ReplayGain may be "per track" or "per album". I've no idea which method Spotify uses.
For detailed information about the ReplayGain algorithm, see: http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=ReplayGain
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Robert J. H.
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Robert J. H. » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:12 pm

steve wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote: as far as you know, will the ReplayGain figure given by your plugin in Audacity be a pretty reliable indicator of what Spotify will do to a track
ReplayGain may be "per track" or "per album". I've no idea which method Spotify uses.
For detailed information about the ReplayGain algorithm, see: http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=ReplayGain
It's probably done per track, right on the upload.

Why do you need this information, noiseboyuk?
I could do some guessing in the wild but I'd prefer that you explain the goal.

All I can say is that Steve's algorithm is very precise if properly used.
The only difference might be due to a wrong gain offset (opinions vary here) and if Spotify takes the track's peak into account.
Can the processed files be downloaded from Spotify or just the original?
You could try to record the songs with Wasapi (loopback) and compare the result to the original.

Robert

noiseboyuk
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by noiseboyuk » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:19 pm

Thanks to you both. Spotify uses track mode, though there has been some lobbying to get it to use album mode.

At the moment, the only way to really find out what Spotify will do to your track is to upload it and wait (2 weeks it was for the last one). There are tools to help, mind - I use one called Dynameter. But it seemed sensible to me that if Spotify was using the ReplayGain algorithm, I could find out quickly and offline what that figure will be. Then when mixing and mastering a track, you can incorporate this into your workflow.

I did some tests yesterday with 4 very different tracks. ReplayGain seemed to do a very good job of predicting what came out of Spotify. There was a caveat - I was initially finding some songs came out massively different. Turned out that if you have a local copy of a track and you've set Spotify to scan your local Windows Media Player library (enabled by default, you can't see local artists in your Artist list though so it's very easy to miss), it will sneakily play your local copy and not the streaming one. And when playing a local copy, it does no volume compensation. I was going nuts trying to figure out why a La Roux track blew my head off, despite a staggering ReplayGain of -8.1db! When I unchecked that setting normality was restored.

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:30 pm

I've gotten a few strange readings today that don't tally with what I'd expect, so I'm keen to find out what you folks know about this algorithm and its use by Spotify. Are they likely to differ significantly? Thanks.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:21 am

noiseboyuk wrote:I've gotten a few strange readings today that don't tally with what I'd expect, so I'm keen to find out what you folks know about this algorithm and its use by Spotify. Are they likely to differ significantly? Thanks.
I've no idea what Spotify do.
I wrote the Nyquist plug-in as an implementation of the "ReplayGain 1.0 specification" : http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?ti ... cification
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 pm

OK thanks Steve. I did a few real world tests, and it doesn't look like a strong match for what Spotify does. Thanks for your help though.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:29 am

"Normalize a multi-channel show"
This is normalizing many single-channel shows.

In my case, I have an orchestra playing one tune with each instrument on its own track. Each instrument is carefully volume balanced.

When I export the show, Audacity smashes them all together into a single stereo track (for example). Unless I got stunningly lucky, the stereo show will overload.

Fix that.

Select all the tracks > Amplify them by a [magic] negative value > Export the show > Inspect for desirable level > Repeat.

You can't change the loudness of each individual track with ReplayGain, but you can change the loudness of all of them in concert (so to speak) such that the final does not overload. I know of no tool to do that in one swoop. I also don't understand why everybody with a multi-channel show doesn't experience this problem.

Koz

jack9
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by jack9 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:53 pm

hi

am creating an audio CD but would like to normalize the volume before burning.

i have 2 questions about its usage. a sample song i chose to analyse has replaygain of -6.8db

1. is the analyse and normalise function mutually exclusive under replaygain? my understanding is that if replaygain normalises the song, then there would be no need to amplify the signal subsequently by -6.8db.

2. would opening and normalising 1 track at a time result in any difference than if i load all 20 tracks for the album at the same time?

thanks

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:59 pm

See the replies to your same questions here: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 00#p310600.

Gale
jack9 wrote:hi

am creating an audio CD but would like to normalize the volume before burning.

i have 2 questions about its usage. a sample song i chose to analyse has replaygain of -6.8db

1. is the analyse and normalise function mutually exclusive under replaygain? my understanding is that if replaygain normalises the song, then there would be no need to amplify the signal subsequently by -6.8db.

2. would opening and normalising 1 track at a time result in any difference than if i load all 20 tracks for the album at the same time?

thanks
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

BBA43
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Post by BBA43 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:46 pm

I'm a newbie to this forum as well as to Audacity ...
I've downloaded the Replaygain plug-in and put it in the plug-ins folder inside the Audacity folder. However, the corresponding effect doesn't show under the Effect menu. I tried also the nyquist folder but to no avail.
What am I missing ?
Thanks
Audacity 2.1.1 under OSX El-Capitan,