Recording for Wedding Pre-Ceremony

Thanks. Should envelope be used between tracks? Or just in general? Is there a uniform way to bring volume levels down? Isnt that what compression is for?

Thanks. So just use the standard pre-set recording settings that are already there?

If making an mp3 from mp3 use “insane” (320kbps) quality to minimize quality loss.
Or just make a WAV from the mp3, (the WAV will be big though: ~5x bigger than mp3 ).

Tracks of equal amplitude can subjectively sound much different, because of psychoacoustics , or the frequency response of the playback system. It’s a case of trial & error.

The gain slider will do that

If you mean “bring volume levels down” on individual tracks in a compilation, use the envelope tool …
'bring volume levels down' using envelope tool.gif

If I want to make the same volume level for all tracks, what’s the best way? I envision having different MP3s and a 10 second pause between them. Which function do I use for this (decibel level?)?

Two methods I know of : by ear, or this plugin.

Thank you all for your help.

When I export as an MP3 from a project file, are the default settings fine ({Reset, Standard, Fast Variable Speed, Joint Stereo)? This is for a classical guitar. I just want the best quality possible.
Capture.PNG

Like I said previously, use the “insane” 320kbps rate, (not “Standard”), for best possible quality mp3.

Thanks. You said to use Insane for when making an MP3 from an MP3. However, I should just use Insane in all instances?

If you have to use mp3 format, (rather than WAV), and file-size doesn’t matter to you, then use “insane” in all instances.
When starting from original audio, (not mp3), I can’t hear a difference between “extreme (~250kbps)” & “insane (320kbps)” mp3s. The advantage is “extreme” mp3 file will be smaller than an “insane” one , so you can get more “extreme” ones on a device than “insane” ones.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/mp3_export_options.html

Thanks. And .wav is preferable to mp3? Why?
Also, whats a good volume range to use in audacity. Is it best to be close to 0.5 with volume spiked, or closer to 1.0 and volume down? Is there any real difference?

mp3 employs lossy compression: file-size is reduced (usually by a factor of ~5) at the expense of sound-quality.
No compression with WAV, (but file-size will be much bigger than mp3).

Thanks. Lastly, what’s a good volume range to use in Audacity? Is it best to be close to 0.5 with volume spiked, or closer to 1.0 and volume down? Is there any real difference?

Theoretically using the full-range, +/-1, will gave better signal-to-noise-ratio.
However in practice using +/- 0.5 I don’t think anyone will be able to hear the difference.

If exporting as a WAV, should I use 16-bit or 32-bit? I am exporting from Audacity to WAV, not from MP3 to WAV, right?

If converting MP3 to WAV, do I make sure the MP3 is INSANE quality first? Does the delay in MP3 files matter?

I doubt anyone can hear the difference between 16-bit & 32-bit WAV.
NB: Some software cannot play 32-bit wav.

WAV => MP3 =>WAV is just going to cause generation loss. Cut out the middle-man.

Be careful with that.

MP3 is an end-user format. That’s the one you put on your iPod to go roller-blading or post to your podcast.

If all you’re going to do is listen to it, Nobody Cares. However, MP3 is a time bomb. If you intend to edit, produce, or cut down an MP3 into another MP3, the quality is going to get worse.

It’s insidious. If you make an MP3 and then make a WAV from that, you don’t have what you think you have. You don’t magically have WAV quality, you have a very, very well preserved MP3 with the compression damage burned in. If you then make an MP3 from that WAV, it’s going to sound like two MP3 compression damages on top of each other.

Master work and archives should always be WAV because you can make those into anything else with no loss in quality.

Koz

Formats.

44100, 16-bit, Stereo WAV is the format of music on an Audio CD. You can go a long way before you run out of quality and the ability to do production.

The video version of that is 48000, 16-bit, Stereo.

If you’re shooting Beyance’, the studio may use 96000, 24-bit, Stereo. That’s not recommended for casual users because your computer has to be able to run perfectly in real time at that higher speed and all your hardware has to be able to handle it.

Chances are not good that your Dell laptop with a Yeti microphone is going to be OK, no matter what the ads say.

Koz

Thanks all. So just go from Audacity file and export straight to WAV if WAV is what I want?

I did it as MP3 INSANE quality yesterday and think it sounds fine. Not looking from Grammy-quality; just need a clear sound to get me thru the wedding