Mac downloads of Audacity are at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac.
If you obtain the DMG of Audacity please install Audacity properly thus:
- Double-click the downloaded .dmg to mount it.
- Drag the “Audacity” folder from the newly mounted .dmg to the “Applications” icon underneath “Places” on the left of Finder. Do not double-click the “Audacity” folder to open it and drag only the Audacity icon to /Applications. The Audacity application must be kept inside the Audacity folder at all times.
You can instead copy the “Audacity” folder to any other location of your choosing.
3. Eject the .dmg in the “Devices” section on the left of Finder, then launch the Audacity application from the “Audacity” folder that you copied.
If you do not follow the above steps you will have multiple problems.
- You will be warned that “Critical Nyquist files cannot be found” and will not be able to use Audacity’s optional plug-ins.
- You won’t be able to save or export files without changing the directory you are saving or exporting to.