Very Inexperienced & Working on Audio Book

That clip is indeed too noisy. You might be able to get the noise floor below -60 dB with filtering and the noise removal tool, but it won’t be pretty.

I hear a rumble (and the spectrum analysis put it’s fundamental at 70 Hz) that could be HVAC, or some equipment with a motor (refrigerator maybe?) in the next room, doesn’t really sound like a computer fan, those are usually higher pitched. There’s the 1kHz whine that Koz likes to call “frying mosquitoes” and then there good ol’ hiss. The whine is likely inherent in the USB interface of the microphone.

What brand/model is the USB microphone? Does it have an input level control?

What is the “dedicated computer setup”… a laptop, desktop?

How close is your wife to the microphone?

As Koz noted there’s also a bit of reverberation to the recording. Is she seated a a desk or table to read? If so try padding the desk top (moving blankets work well) and the wall she is facing.

Your original setup – the Shure mic + Soundcraft mixer + Behringer interface should of been able to deliver a decent quality signal, what ever became of that?

Shure mic + Soundcraft mixer + Behringer interface

Don’t sell those. That combination should be electrically quieter and missing that whine sound. Much less hiss (fffff).

That, in minor variation, is how I shot my compliant voice test to make sure I could do it in the face of telling other people how to do it (attached).

Koz

Okay, the new set up was a Dell D810 laptop computer with Windows XP using the Samson Softpre program which is apparently meant to work with the latest microphone, which is a Samson C01U Studio Condenser.

We still have the Behringer UCA202 and the Shure microphone. But I never figured out how to connect them so as to have sufficient volume in the raw recording. There was no blower or fan going in the modular home where we have my wife’s studio. She sits at a desk in the room she uses for a studio.

She is thinking of trying to do a recording in a small bathroom to see if that improves things.

George

duplicate. Sorry about that. deletable post.

It costs $149, but Recording Hacks has been very high on the Cloudlifter for that purpose. See their 2012 article on Best Budget Audio Interfaces for SM7B

If that sound is from the USB mic itself that probably won’t help. I was warned away from them by Kozikowski among others. Here’s what he had to say about them in an earlier thread:

"The love affair with USB microphones is losing it’s glow because of several shortcomings. The worst one is “frying mosquitoes” noise in the background. This noise is burned into the USB system and it’s rough to remove in post production.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/FryingMosquitoes3.wav

It can prevent you from achieving ACX conformance.

This is a technical problem, but there are certainly physical ones as well. We can’t take out the dog barking in the background. Sorry. Forget Noise Removal. It doesn’t remove noise. All it does is suppress certain background sounds that weren’t all that much of a problem in the first place.

We have posters going into production with the idea that Noise Removal is going to get them “Out of Jail.” It won’t. And these producers are pretty much doomed."

I’m taking this all in and trying to digest it.
I listened to Koz’s “frying mosquitos clip.” I couldn’t hear the mosquitos, which might be because of my tinnitus. Will have to get someone else to listen to it as well. You folks are very patient.

Thanks,

George

Me too. I’m even more of a newbie than you & your wife. I’ve used Audacity for a number of years, but mostly for recording streaming audio off of the internet & recording some my college basketball & football games, especially if I won’t have the opportunity to listen to them live.

I’ve been interested in trying to do some podcasting & audio books for awhile, though, and an author I semi-know via the internet said he’d give me a crack at narrating one of his books, even though he’s skeptical that there’s a market for them. So I took the big plunge & bought some equipment. I’m in the process of waiting for it to be delivered.

I listened to Koz’s “frying mosquitos clip.” I couldn’t hear the mosquitos, which might be because of my tinnitus. Will have to get someone else to listen to it as well.

To be honest, I couldn’t hear it either when I listened the first few times. I wasn’t sure if that was because of my low quality stereo, which has a bit of hum & hiss in it, or if it was me. I’m in my late 50s & undoubtedly haven’t taken care of my hearing as I should have.

I just figured out I could download that clip & yours & look at them & listen to them in Audacity, however, and did so. This time I did hear those frying mosquitoes, but it certainly wouldn’t have been at a level that I would ever have been worried about if it was for my own use. Trying to meet the apparently strict standards of ACX is a different matter, however.

Do you know how to pull down & expand the Audacity sound meters? I did so and it does give good visual insight into those levels. ACX requires an average background level below -60 dB, I believe.

In looking at Koz’ other mic test that did pass those standards, I watched those bouncing meters occasionally jump up into the -40s briefly, but disappear below the visible part of the chart at about -60 or so for most of the time. I’m not sure how to get the average from Audacity, though I think it’s possible, but the bottom line was that it can pass even if it occasionally jumps up very briefly into a higher sound level range.

In contrast to the passing clip, the meters on Koz’ frying mosquitoes clip bounced around in the -40s the whole time hitting a high of a little over -41 dB and a low around -47 dB or so. ACX would reject that clip whether some of listeners would be able to hear it or not, for whatever reason.

Your clip, newMike_driver3_15_19 was worse than Koz’ frying mosquitoes clip. In the quiet 2 second portion before your wife started narrating it looked to me like the Audacity meters went from a low of about -43 dB or so to a high of almost -25 dB. The quiet section at the end seemed to fluctuate in the -40s up to about -38 dB. That sounds like it would be 20 dB or more above the requisite ACX noise floor. If that’s mostly due to the microphone it probably means that mic just won’t work for narrating ACX audiobooks regardless of the room.

As noted above, I’m far from any expert on it, but it sounds to me like you could fix that problem by trading that USB mic back in for a Cloudlifter and using it with your Shure SM7B, mixer & UCA-202 interface.

Frying Mosquitoes was never intended to pass ACX. It’s the poster child for why a USB microphone may not pass. After I speak, turn the speaker volume up so you can hear it. “Teee teee teee teee teee.” ACX actually recommends boosting the speaker volume for difficult noise. The same noisy environment that prevents you from making a clean recording also prevents you from hearing the problems after the shoot.

As has been pointed out billions of times, you can’t do any of this production on “computer speakers.” “Wait, what? I don’t hear anything.”

Attached is the one I shot with the goal of passing ACX. It’s called “patched” because you are expected to live-record with peak volume at -6, but the ACX specification is -3. So you will never go directly from one to the other. I also had to run filtration to get rid of the Great Hummy Monster that lives in my attic. I think I also got rid of some rumble with Steve’s Vocal Filter. I need to go back to the notes to remember how I got there.

What I did not do was spend an hour with different settings in Noise Removal trying to rescue the performance.

And yes, I did it with an SM58 (ES-58), small sound mixer (PV6), a UCA202, and a quiet room in the evening after traffic died down.

Click just above the Mute button to select the whole clip.

Analyze > Contrast: Measure Selection. Read -21.1dB.
Effect > Amplify. Read -3dB peaks.

Drag select some portion of the Room Tone silent stretch at the beginning.
Analyze > Contrast: Measure Selection. Read -69.8dB.

So that’s the three numbers. All pass ACX compliance.

Koz

What was the model number of the Soundcraft mixer? I couldn’t find it in the thread.

Koz

I looked up the Sampson mic, and notably lacking from it’s specification sheet is any noise level or signal-to-noise specification.

Just to cover the bases – this is a side-address directional microphone. The face with the LED should be pointed at the talent. (And not the end or backside).

You will probably get the best results with the microphone places 8-12" away, preferably on a stand so that your wife can maintain that distance comfortably (ie not leaning forward).

Okay Koz,

I think we had the microphone pointed wrong. We will have to try it pointed correctly.
The mixer we started out with is a Folio Notepad Spirit. I assume that Spirit is the model.
We still have the Behringer, the Shure microphone and the mixer. I tried something else, since, no matter how I connected things or adjusted the mixer, I couldn’t get
the recorded volume high enough.
Right! Headphones! I had forgotten! It’s been a while since I’ve gotten into something so new to me.

George

Well, today I took everything I had to our IT guy, at work. He also happens to be the sound man for a music group in our area. I left it with him most of the day and dropped in after work. He said that the Folio Notepad is good and he connected it, along with a Cloudlifter, to the Shure Microphone. He thought it worked well, though he did not measure anything. He simply listened. Next, he connected the Dell D810 laptop computer with Windows XP using the Samson Softpre program the Samson C01U Studio Condenser. He got plenty of volume! What he did was select drivers for the microphone and adjust the Samson Softpre program, which works with that mike. He liked that even better (again, he didn’t measure, just listened).

I have to go away for a couple of days, and there has been much to do, to get ready. But I did set up the Samson arrangement and had my wife do two tests. What do you think Koz?

George


Both recordings sound good to me. The reverberation I noted last time is gone. Was the mic pointed the wrong way before? Or did you make changes to the “studio”?

Both require a bit of amplification to the the peaks to the -3 level specified by ACX which is a good place to be for your raw recordings.

After amplifying both clips to -3, the “Test 2” has a noise floor at just over -60 ie right the specification, “Tom’s Mic” is about 5 dB quieter at -65.

The rumble I noted last time is still there but considerably quieter than before. Some careful work with the equalizer to lop off the extreme low and high frequencies (below 100 Hz and above 4kHz) might get you a few more dB of headroom in your SNR.

Test4 easily passes the three specifications with a simple correction for sound peaks (normal correction).

Select the whole clip > Effect > Normalize: [X]Normalize to -3.2 [X]Remove DC.

RMS is -21 or -18 depending on how you measure it. Both pass.
Peaks are -3.2 which passes
Noise Floor before the dialog is -67 and after the dialog is -65. Both pass.

So you’re done.

I suspect if you were moving around, that could cause the difference in noise numbers. It doesn’t take much. Our Room Tone has you hold your breath and stop moving for two to three seconds. The ACX version of this has you in another part of the house drinking coffee for 30 seconds.


Before you open the bubbly, you should listen closely to the Test4 clip at the words “Work Well.” Both of those words have little “tick” sounds. Does that happen often? That can be the computer having troubles with the data speed of the performance. That can be rough to fix.

Record a longer performance and listen critically (headphones) for little tick sounds during words.

Koz

Once you get the studio resolved, you’re ready for the rest of the process. ACX has a number of publications and videos to guide you through AudioBook Production.

http://blog.acx.com/2014/06/26/how-to-succeed-at-audiobook-production-part-1/
http://www.acx.com/help/video-lessons-resources/200672590
http://www.acx.com/help/acx-audio-submission-requirements/201456300
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Audible/en_US/acx/pdf/ACX_MP3_Encoding_Tutorial_04242014._V338366800_.pdf

You may only need the first set of videos “How To Succeed…”. The others have to do with technical specifications.

Please note that we don’t measure technical specifications exactly the same way, but our processes are very close cousins of each other. If you can make it past our tests and you read well, you should sail right through. If you can’t pass our tests or only make it by paper thin margins, you will probably get bounced by ACX’s automated testing.

Koz

Okay Koz,

I’ve been out of town for a couple of days. Thank you so very much. We will continue working and follow your instructions.
We did change the studio to the bathroom of that house. And, I’m sure that my wife will do more sound proofing work in that bathroom, now that she knows that it has indeed improved the recording. Yes, before, we were not facing the microphone correctly. It was a great help that you mentioned that this is a directional mike. Also, it is immensely helpful for me to be able to have someone knowledgeable actually set things up with me and do a lot of hands on explaining.

Life has been hectic and we’ve had too many irons on the fire. But we do want to keep pressing forward on this project and now, with this good news, I’m sure we’ll press a little harder!

George

It was a great help that you mentioned that this is a directional mike.

Even better when flynwill mentioned it.

I use furniture moving pads.

Next test do a ten second performance like this:
Hold your breath and don’t move for two seconds and then present some actual work. “Testing One Two Three” is a well respected sound test, but it tells us nothing about your theatrical qualities. Go into one of your characters or one of your narrators. The ability to shift gears and read copy as a character is an important reading talent according to the videos on the subject. The illustration is Bob Bergen performing Porky Pig reading plain words.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Flaughingsquid.com%2Flooney-tunes-voice-actor-bob-bergen-breaks-down-porky-pigs-famous-stutter%2F&ei=e_MhVZXjNIHhoASiwYC4Cg&usg=AFQjCNFN2xPFCvEh8xkLZ2uCIOe93SERrw

Koz

Did you hear and resolve those little “tick” sounds during the words?
Koz

It occurs to me to ask, given how busy you are, shouldn’t we be talking to your cousin or the person you hired to set this up? As we go, you’re going to lose the thread of the problems and solutions and little tricks to make all this work right.

The first time somebody at ACX listens to a piece with those little tick sounds in the show, they’re going to bounce it and you’re going to be looking for a technical solution in the middle of production.

They warn that taking the audiobook production processes out of step is a very serious problem.

Koz