tutorials don't match actual

why do the tutorial not match the level 3 audacity form online>?

Which tutorial?

…Usually, the user manual and the tutorials in the manual are kept up-to-data with the application.

the tutorials i am looking at are the ones on you tube. do you manage those ? Looks like the tutorials on the home screen for audacity do match the base image. Beginners luck, excuse the new guy on the block!!!

IS THERE A WAY TO PRINT THE ENTIRE USERS MANUAL FOR REFERENCE?

the tutorials i am looking at are the ones on you tube. do you manage those ?

No there are no “official” video tutorials and of course whoever makes those doesn’t keep them up-to-date.

your tutorials:

SELECTING YOUR INPUT DEVICE

the device input line is blank, where do i get inputs for this line?

Please don’t type all in upper case - it is considered bad etiquette.

Do you have any audio devices enabled in the Windows Sound control panel? If so, what are they?

That would be your [u]Recording Device[/u].

What are you trying to record from? The microphone built-into your laptop? Streaming Audio? Something else?

first trying to record from a casette tape reader, no success

then tried to import a file from windows (music) , no success, that i know of.

either one the INPUT DEVICE remained blank , i must be missing something obvious.

and i must say, THANK YOU for your support.

first trying to record from a casette tape reader, no success

Is that one of those “cheap little” cassette players with a USB connection? A lot of people have trouble with those…

But if you’re using a laptop the built-in mic should show-up as an option so if you’ve got no choices there’s something else wrong. (On a desktop computer you might not see anything until you plug-in something.)

i am using a Radio Shack player(1970 + or -vintage) , audio cable from the headphone plug to the input plug (mic) on my computer.
Should that work?

audio cable from the headphone plug to the input plug (mic) on my computer.
Should that work?

You might get “something” but it’s not “correct”. Ideally you should be using a line-input. Headphone & line-level signals are about 100 times stronger than a mic signal. And most mic inputs are mono.

A couple more questions - Is that a laptop or desktop computer? Most regular soundcards on desktop/tower computers have line-in.

If it’s a laptop does it have separate microphone and headphone jacks, or a combo-jack? A combo-jack works with regular headphones but a microphone needs a special plug with an extra mic connection.

And again, if it’s a laptop and the built-in mic isn’t showing-up there is “something wrong”.

Something else that might be helpful for troubleshooting - In windows you can configure [u]Listen to This Device[/u] and you should hear the tape player through your computer speakers without Audacity (or any other application( running.

Here I am again this morning. I followed all the instructions for the LISTEN TO ME on my laptop and the audio played through the laptop speakers from my cheap cassette player. I was originally using my desktop so I have no stopped that and am using the laptop only.

The two sound bars at the top of the screen shows audio signal coming through, the recording appeared to start (???) with a burst of noise then shortly went to white noise. the sound bars continued to see audio signal. where do I go from here.

I ask earlier if the user manual could be printed but did not get an answer that I saw. Can it be printed out or ordered printed out. Maybe that could be a better tool.

And pardon me for sending a note in all caps, mistake on my part, I apologize.

For being a “simple” program, it is getting very complicated!!!

Sorry but no you can’t. And you would lose a lot in printing it out as the whole Manual is based on hyper-text with many many links throughout, in particular the very useful front page image of the Audacity window which is a clickable imagemap to take you to the relevant part of the Manual.

Whoever said audio editing and Audacity were “simple” :wink:

We work hard to try and make the UX/GUI as “discoverable” as possible - but that’s not always possible throughout.

It should be possible to used Audacity in a simple way for simple small tasks.

WC

Do you care to post a screen shot?

Also, forget about recording for a moment. Can you Generate some sound and play it in Audacity? Can you play an existing .mp3 or .wav file in Audacity?