Trying to get started, but the instructions don't make sense?

Today I received my DriverGenius AV202-B Audio Grabber and have installed Audacity on my Windows laptop, but I just cannot make sense of the instructions.
Note. I am Aspergers & Dyslexic and always struggle with written instructions because what I read often does not match what I experience. The instruction steps need to match, otherwise I am completely lost.
I have connected the Stereo Line output of my audio system to the RCA connectors of the Audio Grabber, and the USB connection into my Laptop.
However, Audacity/Laptop is not seeing the Audio Grabber. The instructions say “With the USB cable, connect the audio grabber to a computer and wait until the product is recognized automatically. Should it not be recognized automatically, set the Audio Grabber as an audio input source using the control panel.”

Exploring the control panel, when I select the ‘Audio Setup’ > ‘Audio Settings’ > ‘Recording Device’, I have: ‘Microsoft Sound Mapper (input)’. ‘Microphone Array (USB)’, ‘Microphone Array (Intel)’

I have tried: Power cycling the laptop. Plugging into the USB port BEFORE opening Audacity. Plugging into the USB port AFTER opening Audacity.

Can anyone please tell me what I have to do, to get stereo audio? Thank you.

Assuming you don’t have a USB microphone plugged-in that should be it.

…Windows might be seeing it as a generic audio device and assuming it’s a microphone. That’s not unusual.

You’ll also have to select the USB device as your Recording Device in Audacity. (It may be selected automatically.)

While you’re there, check the Playback Device. Windows may default to that “new” USB device for recording and playback, but it’s not going to work for playback.

If the instructions came with the Audio Grabber, they may be outdated (for an older version of Audacity). And if it came with Audacity, it’s usually best to download the latest version from the Audacity website.

The online Audacity manual has TONS of information and tutorials (sometimes too much) and it’s often best to ask here first.

Hello Doug, thank you for your reply. Well it appears to work, but not quite as I expected!
I have Audacity V 3.4.2 and the manual says V3.4.
Out of sheer frustration, I just pressed the Record button and it started to record audio. So I recorded a short piece and saved it as a WAV file, which is what I want to do. The Recording source option that I select seems to make no difference.
However, as I skim through the manual, I begin to think that this is not the right tool for my need. I purchased this just to give me a stereo audio interface between the RSA Line Output of my stereo system, and the USB port of my laptop so that I can continue to digitise my vinyl music collection. I use a tool called ‘Spin it Again’ by Acoustica, to digitise and edit into individual tracks. It looks to me like Audacity is really aimed at studio recording applications. I cannot see anything that says how to edit out the silence between tracks, name them and save them as separate files? (when I say ‘tracks’ I don’t mean ‘Left’ and ‘Right’, I mean the individual pieces of music on an album).
I am also finding it clumsy to navigate back to the control panel after having looked at the Help section. So I think that I will just use Audacity as a dumb interface and continue to use ‘Spin it Again’ for my track editing.
Thanks again for your assistance.

That is deliberate - the interface is unlikely to change throughout the 3.4.x series.

3.4.1 and 3.4.2 are maintenance releases for bugs that needed to be urgently fixed.

Peter

See this tutorial in the Audacity Manual:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_copying_tapes_lps_or_minidiscs_to_cd.html

And this suggested workflow:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sample_workflow_for_lp_digitization.html

Peter

Great! Use whatever is easiest! :wink: I have a variety of audio and video tools myself.

Audacity is a general-purpose audio recording & editing application. Probably the most popular “audio editor” in the world!!! And, one of the top open-source applications of all kinds.

Being a general-purpose tool means there are no “simple instructions” because it depends on what you’re trying to do, and often there is more than one way to do things. And everybody has a different hardware setup.

But it’s not as advanced or complicated as a full DAW. :wink:

I don’t know anything about Spin It Again but it MIGHT have some better specialized tools for removing vinyl “snap”, “crackle” and “pop”.

I’ve had Wave Repair ($30 USD) for many years. It does an audibly perfect repair of most (but not all) clicks & pops. But it’s manual so you have to find & repair the defects one at a time and it usually takes me most of a weekend to fix-up a digitized album. The upside is that it only “touches” the audio where you identify a defect.

I also have Wave Corrector which is fully-automatic and FREE. But I digitized most of my records before I had it, so I don’t have much experience with it.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.