Sound like old 40s records?

Hi, I am looking how to sound like 40s record like this one:
I don’t know how, so any help is welcome.
My audacity version is 3.1.2, Windows 10

Use the Graphic EQ to kill the bass and treble like this:

You will also need actors that can do 1940’s accents.

You can try [u]Izotope Vinyl[/u]. It doesn’t officially support Audacity but I think the VST2 version works (with the 64-bit version of Audacity).

If that doesn’t work, try to find some “crackle” noise on the Internet. Audacity can generate hiss (white or pink noise) and even some 50/60Hz hum if you want hum. You can use equalization (Graphic EQ) to reduce the low & high frequencies.

I have the old 32-bit version - and that works fine with 64-bit Audacity.


Steve wrote:

You will also need actors that can do 1940’s accents.

Very true, last thing you want is to go to all the trouble of doing EQ,
adding rumble, noise and some clicks and pops, only to have someone say:
“Hey dude, waaaz up?” :wink:

The film-crackle is different from vinyl … https ://

If a generic retro-announcer effect will suffice, try Helmet radio plugin

retro announcer effect..png

If you want to look it up, it’s called the Mid-Atlantic accent, or Transatlantic accent. Don’t neglect this part - getting the accent is 80% of the job. The other 20% is to “age” the sound by removing bass and high treble, and (optionally) add some hiss and crackle. The hiss and crackle should match the type of recording that you want to reproduce - Film noise, record noise (shellac), radio noise (AM), and tape noise each have their own recognizable sound.