Recovering Corrupted File, -unable to open database file

Having followed the directions here ( Recovering corrupted projects - Audacity Support), after having gotten the “Audacity failed to read a file in D” message, when I get to " audacity-project-tools -recover_db -recover_project broken.aup3", I get the response “unable to open database file”. Is there anything that can be done at this point to save this project?

From: Corrupt or Otherwise Broken Audacity Project Recovery

I definitely did not mistype the file name nor the extension.

Unless you see a typo here that I don’t

For some reason as of a few weeks ago, the most recently saved versions of almost every project I’ve been working on have recently been unable to be opened, getting the “Audacity failed to read a file in…” error, and I’ve tried this recovery process with multiple projects, and they all get the “unable to open database file”. I have been renaming them to broken.aup3, and I’ve tried just broken.aup as well.

So when you do you dir, you can clearly see that the filename extension is shown as “.aup3.aup3” so you have an extra “.aup3”. This is not your fault - it is due to Windows deciding to hide file name extensions. However, you have to compensate for this Windows “feature”.

For more information, do an internet search on “How to show file name extensions”.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.