Project Preferences

Where is the project preferences options for “saving a project that depends on other audio files”?
Edit > Preferences > Projects

When I digitize a vinyl album I save it as a wav file for use in Audacity and do not want Audacity to copy/duplicate it into the project. But use the wav file instead.

Last version I see this option is 2.3.2. Gone missing in 2.3.3. Haven’t checked 3.x due to aup3. Don’t want project (including source audio) stored in a db file.

Windows 8.1 Pro
Audacity 2.3.2 / 2.3.3

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/audacity/help/manual/man/projects_preferences.html
Project Preferences.jpg

It’s not “gone missing” - it was deliberately removed a few releases ago.

It was originally provided in the days when disks were smaller and costlier.

WC

Very unwelcome change. What is the benefit to users by removing this feature?
There is more to the equation than just storage space and cost. The duplication is waste and increased project admin (backup etc.).
Why can’t we have the preexisting option? What would it hurt? Those who don’t want it are not forced to use it. The default could still be to save the audio sources in the project.

Close to 100% reduction in reports of broken projects due to missing dependencies.

The duplication only exists until you modify the audio. Considering that most Audacity users modify the audio in the project (what’s the point of making an Audacity project if you don’t?) the only “benefit” of maintaining external dependencies disappears shortly after you start working on the project.

Not having dependencies makes project management MUCH simpler for users because there is only one file per project.

What benefits do you see in having external dependencies in addition to the project file?

When I digitize a vinyl album I save it as a wav file for use in Audacity and do not want Audacity to copy/duplicate it into the project.

When I digitize vinyl I don’t bother making a project at all! :wink:

Doug,

the OP is not complaining about making a Project - what they want to have back is the old aliased external audio files with ODL (on-demand) loading that early versions of Audacity had.

For all the reasons that Steve listed we decided to remove that.

Peter.

Same can be achieved with setting the default to “Copy all audio into project (safest)”. Allowing others to utilize the feature if they so chose.

Lots of point.
Create labels and export multiple to split the songs into individual files with meaningful names.
Create a de-click track (inverted clicks) that is mixed into the export.
Run macros to export desired output.

The benefit remains until save the project with modified audio. Never happens for my digitized vinyl. The capture is archived and everything is driven from that.

Same can be achieved with setting the default to “Copy all audio into project (safest)”.

Album archived in a single file (wave or flac). Drive project from the single file without duplication.
The source is never modified. Only the output. Making the duplication very inefficient. Moving, copying, backing up all those auf files is also more intensive process.

When I digitize vinyl I create a project that has labels and references the archived wave file. I also create a de-click track (inverted clicks) that can be mixed into the export.
If I wish to do any other processing I use macros or a differential. The original archive is never modified and the entire project is driven from that.

So “duplication” happens on save rather than on import.

The source is never modified in either scenario. The imported audio data is always copied from the file. The original file is only read and not written to.

How do you do that without copying of the imported track occurring?