Problem with USB Microphone and Laptop recording

PROBLEM SOLVED! SHORTER CABLE SOLVED THE STATIC!!

My GF is to blame for the last house fail, the USB Cable is only $6 so when you put one end below the mic you need to give one last push to go deep enough. Now everything works fine!

Another thing is at the shop we also tried a USB 3.0 (Hub) + USB Charger plug to the wall, as you mention and it was even better than just with the shorter cable. The shorter cable is solving the static problem on his own but adding a USB Plug with the charger increase the overall sound quality, so I might go buy it tomorrow.

Below is a picture of the longer cable (the black one that came with the Mic), and the shorter white $6 cable that solved the static issue. I also did a short recording with the same short cable with gain high-middle-low, keep in mind that the fan was close to me and the cricket outside were loud. I’m okay with that, I have a good room to record without all the noise, I was just testing.
CABLE.jpg

This is a test in the same living room as the last recording but the fan turned off (the microphone is in my hands). We can still hear the neighbor having a party and the loud cricket (it is 7h30 PM here. Low gain = better, but I won’t ever record with that much sound around anyways. The fridge is also making noise but I cannot hear it on the recording. The crickets are stealing the show!

If you guys have any tips and tricks, I want to do every test possible.

Pop filter, helpful? (I’m going to buy one now, store close in 2 hours)
Mount shock?
Where should I put the mic when I record? It’s on a base. Should I put it on the floor? On a small table?

I didn’t hear my laptop noise while testing yet, even with the mic 2 feet away, so that doesn’t seem like an issue.

The crickets can be exterminated with a combination of noise-reduction & noise-gate* …

[ * only gate frequencies above 6kHz )

Oh wow, this is awesome!

I need to try to record in the best condition possible because I have 4 YouTube Channel and on a normal day I am doing 4 videos per day. These videos-reactions are not long to edit but I can’t constantly be adjusting the sound in post-production. If it takes 5-10 min per video fine, but an hour each I can’t.

Is there a way that I can (before recording) on Audacity tell the program that only sound above for example -25 will be detected? Because I know before recording the range of the background noise, and I’m not playing with volume or gain when the record starts. I record one-take and background noise will be the same throughout the recording.

Many of the placement tricks aren’t going to work for you because you’re two people. but in general, the microphone should be even with your noise or slightly high.

That usually automatically needs a mic stand because if you pile books up enough to get it that high, they’re in the way.

Also note the heavy blanket on the table to get rid of slap reflections and distortion.

P Popping and breath sounds go forward and down from your lips. Joe Rogan has regular plosives, popping, thumping and pumping on his show.

When you become Joe Rogan, you can do that, too.

Spacing (again, this isn’t going to work for you) should be generally a Hawaiian Shaka without a pop shield.

A Power Fist with one.

If you’re far enough from the microphone (two shakas or more) you may not need the pop filter at all.

only sound above for example -25 will be detected?

Nice try. Audacity doesn’t apply effects, filters or corrections during recording. Many people record in a quiet, echo-free room. That cuts down on post production editing and correcting. A noisy room means you will be correcting each recording forever. That gets tired in a hurry.

If you’re not too picky about what it sounds like, you might want to turn Windows Enhancements back on. Their job is to suppress background sounds during conferences and chats. They also make your voice sound like a cellphone—and now you know why cellphones sound like that.

Koz

I thought that the fan was the major issue, but the FRIDGE in the other room was the one causing the big interference, so I unplugged the fridge (for the time of the testing (it’s a small old fridge).

First file is with the fan, low sound, low gain.
Second file is without the fan, also low sound and low gain.

The fan doesn’t bother me that much, and we can still hear the crickets because obv it’s 11h30 PM.

The reason why the fan doesn’t bother me that much is because when I speak my voice masks most of the fan. And during our videos there is no silence anyways. Either we watch a video (which will mask all of the fan anyways) or we comments-talk.

Both files are without any post-production, I might try to add a low remove background noise on Filmora to see if my voice become robotic or not.

I’ll do more testing but I think that the sound is 80% there.

p.s: When I sit still the top of the mic is a little bit below my chin. There an angle on the pic below but it’s not as low at it seems.
gan.jpg

The desk stand is cheap, convenient and easy to include with a home microphone, but if you’re trying to stamp out as many sound errors as possible, it’s not the best placement for voice. The official juggling act is to place it just above the video frame.

That’s an extreme, but real example.

You can use the microphone to help you find noises. Set it for directional and swipe it around the room. If possible, listen on headphones. so you can do it all in real time.

“Every time I point it at the bathroom, the noise level goes up. Oh, wait, that’s the vent fan.”

I found a noisy music performance speaker cabinet that way. It didn’t go off when I turned it off.

Koz

Wait. It’s all coming back to me.

Boom microphone placement should be 18" up and 18" forward of the performer. The performer’s eyes should be a third of the way from the top of the video frame (“Eyes At A Third”) which should put the microphone just out of sight.

That’s the official version. You are two people so you 'll have to adapt as needed.

Koz

Thx you for all the tips and advice, I’m trying everything atm.

I did a LOW Remove Background Noise on Filmora with the two files linked in my previous post and a miracle happens, I cannot hear background sound anymore, but my voice quality is a tad down, especially with the fan one (the first part of the link below).

I am now 90% happy with the sound. Removing the noise will take less then a min on Filmora even if the video is 10 min because all my cuts are done and I know where to apply it.

I know that low Gain also hurt quality, so now I will try to put the gain higher while recording and apply the same remove background noise.

Getting there :slight_smile:

There is one video production setting to be avoided. If you start out talking to the camera as a real person, keep doing that. Do Not shift to talking off camera unless you establish another person in the show.

It makes me crazy when people shift aback and forth between talking to the camera and “talking to the credenza.”

Try it in real life. Talk to somebody face to face and then start talking over their left shoulder. It’s not natural in real life and it doesn’t work in video.

[/rant]

Koz

I agree with this, and we struggle with it sometimes because there is two of us reacting so sometimes we talk directly to the camera and other time our head will move to the side, and up again to the camera (because we are also conversing with each other). Sujy struggles with it when we pause the reaction because she looks at the laptop screen which provides a visual clue to what she is talking about. This will be solved soon because in our new setup the laptop is higher so went we look at the screen we also look at the camera at the same time, creating the illusion that the laptop and camera form one. Before that, we were looking down a lot. January is always a terrible month for YouTube income so were doing all the testing imaginable.

I know that low Gain also hurt quality

Recorded sound has two limits. So loud that it distorts from overload and so quiet that it drowns in background and internal microphone noises. You job is to hit it in the middle.

If you’re counting, the blue waves on the Audacity timeline should have occasional tips and peaks up to about half-way (0.5). That’s a fuzzy rule—say once every 30 seconds to minute). If you go much louder than that, you could overload by simply leaning forward too far or get expressive or laugh.

If you have trouble finding the blue waves at all because they’re so small, that’s too soft. That’s an invitation to electronic noise problems (ffffffffff).

Koz

This will be solved soon because in our new setup the laptop is higher so went we look at the screen we also look at the camera at the same time

Perfect.

The Big Kids have displays on the camera under each lens so the performer seems to always be looking at the camera/audience.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 09.44.53.png
Koz

(because we are also conversing with each other)

That’s OK. You established two people in the show.

Koz

Someone told us there was an echo in the small room so we moved to the main living room.

Our voices are better and I cannot hear the fan but obv the crickets are loud. I can’t wait to test in a few hours when it’s morning and they are gone.

I personally think Gain should be between 0 and 6 out of 18, if it’s middle to high it capt literally everything.

I did testing with both of us on cardioid, stereo and omnidirectional, omni is the best, we don’t need to worry about positioning and even if we move it pick our sound better. The file below is omni with gain going from 0-2-4-6.

My GF voice is better than mine, but she was further than me from the mic (at a greater angle). It’s working, I think one more day and we will be ready to react again.

That’s what a noise-gate does: only volume above a threshold gets through unattenuated.
Now the bad news: gating can sound weird, it’s jarring/stilted, and the crickets will still be present when you speak.

My tip would be filter out everything below 200Hz with the equalizer, (or high-pass filter).
that reduces the reverb (echo) and makes male & female voices more equal in volume.
The LevelSpeech2 plugin makes voices even more equal …

That’s what a noise-gate does

…in post production. Not in real time. It’s possible you can get that effect in Windows Enhancements. That will apply in real time, but you are warned, none of these tools are perfect and as Trebor above, some adjustments may give you cricket voices.

Audacity does not apply corrections in real time because once you make a bad recording with effects, you’re stuck. We can’t take effects out of a recording.

Gain should be between 0 and 6 out of 18

I think 6 works from your test.

Home Microphones usually arrive with very low volume because overload and loud sound damage is pure evil and makes you want to send the microphone back. Recording quiet, noisy sound makes you think it’s your fault.

The microphone sensitivity pattern depends on your show. Two people have to fit, it has to be convenient and it has to not sound like you’re recording in a bathroom.

Just for grins. Switch to cardioid (directional) and point the back of the microphone to the window. Do the crickets get quieter? That’s the purpose of that pattern. It records mostly from the front (usually the company name).

We should remember the microphone instructions are not in English, so we’re guessing how it works.

Koz