No IN(UA-1EX) on Device Toolbar

I purchased a tape player for transferring my tapes to CD for the car. It came with Audacity.

I can’t get it to record, when I open Audacity the Device Toolbar has MME in the first box, but the next does not have IN (UA-1EX) in the options. Maybe because of this the recording is at a very low level, actually very, very, very low and there is no play-through.

Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.

The system is Windows 10 and I’ve checked on line for better drivers.

Thanks in advance guys.

Brian

It’s probably an obsolete version of Audacity. Look in “Help > About Audacity”. The current version is 2.1.2. If you’ve not got that version, download it from here: Audacity ® | Download for Windows

Ensure that the device is connected before you start Audacity. If not, you will need to “Rescan audio devices” (Transport menu).
The device should be connected directly to a USB port on your computer, not through a hub.

The device may not be listed as “UA-1EX”. Look for any USB option.

Thanks for the reply,

Steve wrote
It’s probably an obsolete version of Audacity. Look in “Help > About Audacity”. The current version is 2.1.2. If you’ve not got that version, download it from here: > Audacity ® | Download for Windows

I deleted that version and downloaded the latest from the website.

Steve wrote
Ensure that the device is connected before you start Audacity. If not, you will need to “Rescan audio devices” (Transport menu).
The device should be connected directly to a USB port on your computer, not through a hub.

I saw that in the manual so made a point of doing it, though I will check again, and it is directly into the USB on my laptop, I don’t need a hub.

I’ll retry again and post back here with the results

Cheers
Brian

Missed this one, sorry

Steve wrote
The device may not be listed as “UA-1EX”. Look for any USB option.

The only one listed is “Microphone Array (2- USB PnP Au” which is the one I’m using and is the only one of the three options that has USB in the title…

Oh, I also checked to ensure I had the latest driver, appears I have.

Tried running it again and still no joy.

Should I maybe delete the prog. and reinstall, what do you think?

Cheers
Brian

What audio devices connected to your computer are you aware of? I presume there will be an internal sound card, and the tape player - anything else? (don’t forget web cams, headsets, or anything else that may have an audio input).

From the Help menu. select “Audio device info”, then copy the info into your reply (ensure that you copy all of it).

You can easily verify whether “Microphone Array (2- USB PnP Au” is the UA-1EX by opening the Recording Devices tab of Windows Sound, connect or disconnect the UA-1EX and see which device appears or disappears.

What exactly is the problem, after you select whatever the UA-1EX is called as Recording Device in Audacity’s Device Toolbar?

When you have selected the correct recording device, you have to turn up the input level using the microphone slider in Mixer Toolbar:

If you want to listen while recording you have to enable Transport > Software Playthrough. If you want to listen without recording you also have to click in the recording meter, as well as enable Software Playthrough.

Gale

If we’re talking about the Roland/Edirol UA-1EX, isn’t that an ASIO device?

I’m not sure if it is an ASIO-only device, but if that is the case, it wouldn’t work with Audacity, as Audacity doesn’t support ASIO.

Yes, if you install its drivers, but it’s class compliant without the drivers, and I think the drivers include WDM support as well as ASIO. waxcylinder has (or had) one of these for use with Audacity.

There are no UA-1EX drivers for Windows 10, so in bricoe’s case he can only use it without drivers in class-compliant mode.

Gale

I don’t know if this is of any use at all, but here goes:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Getting-your-devices-to-work-with-Windows-10-m3267234.aspx

Someone on the Cakewalk fora figured out how to install and mod the Windows 8 driver for a lot of Roland devices under Windows 10. There’s even a couple of youtube vids to help.

Maybe worth a try?

I still do and I still use it with W10 on both 2.1.2 and the latest test 2.1.3 alphas to capture from an FM tuner- and it works fine still. But as Gale says it will now only work in the non-advanced mode with the standard Microsoft USB drivers (so the 24-bit capability is now “out the window”).

I did speak to Roland/Edirol about this and they told me that as the UA-1EX is an obsolete discontinued device they had no plans and no intention to create W10 drivers for it.

WC