No audio devices in Audacity 2.4.1: "Error Initializing Audio" "Internal PortAudio Error"

I’m using Windows 10 Pro 18363.836
Audacity 2.3.3r worked but Audacity 2.4.1 doesn’t work.
When opening Audacity 2.4.1 it shows a window with the title “Error Initializing Audio” with the description:
"Could not find any audio devices.
You will not be able to play or record audio.

Error: Internal PortAudio error"
I tried reinstalling and resetting the preferences through the installer of 2.4.1. I reinstalled 2.3.3r and it works like a charm. For testing purposes I reinstalled the “broken” Audacity 2.4.1.

Does Windows see you audio devices?

If Windows can’t see them, then Audacity won’t be able to either.


Yes, Windows lists them all.
Chrome can use my mic e.g. online recorders like or or Windows 10’s audio recording app works, too.

Addition what exactly doesn’t work:
After getting this “Error Initializing Audio”-window the normal Audacity 2.4.1 overview window opens and I can’t choose MME/DirectSound etc, no recording device and so on, everything is blank if I click on it:

I have exactly the same problem. Just upgraded to Audacity 2.4.1 from 2.3.1 which was working fine, and get exactly the same error in 2.4.1 reported in this post, identical screenshots.

Windows sees all the audio devices. I’ve tested several other audio applications - all work. I even searched for Audacity alternatives and found Wavosaur - downloaded it, ran it, worked perfectly, found all my audio devices and they worked.

Windows 10 Home Build 18362
HP Envy TS 15 laptop with supplied “IDT HIGH-Definition Audio Driver” version 6.10.6491.0 REV: B

Last Friday I opened the “broken” Audacity 2.4.1 und surprisingly it worked like a charm even though I did not change my system consciously. I didn’t update Windows and I’m not aware of new driver updates, I don’t know what changed but Audacity 2.4.1 has worked since last Friday. (perhaps even earlier)

Same problem here. Upgraded to 2.4.1, get the “Error Initializing…” and Internal PortAudio Error. All sound devices visible in Windows (Win10 64-bit). Went back to 2.3.3 and presto, everything working fine.

Good Morning (or afternoon, evening):

With Audacity 2.4.2 under Windows 10 Pro, I am see this exact issue too. However, I narrowed it down to if I have my MOTU interface plugged in, this is when Audacity throws the error. I reinstalled the MOTU driver and Audacity still can’t find it.

As a note, I have several ‘pro’ ASIO drivers installed, but generally only one of them is active at a time. When the MOTU interface in active, all other programs - Reason 11, Roland Zenbeats, NI Battery 4, NI Kontakt 6 all see the active and inactive drivers with no issues - MOTU, NI Audio, JD-Xi, Realtek, etc.

If I unplug the MOTU interface and only have the native Realtek driver running, Audacity sees it and it starts normally. In the input/output drop-down of Audacity, it shows Realtek and Microsoft Sound Mapper.

I am thinking that Audacity is having a problem with multiple inactive drivers and is trying to use them-- either isn’t numerating over all of them to find an active one or has a unique ordering.

Same here. Audacity 2.33 works fine.