Monitoring

While recording, I can’t turn on and off the software play through.
Also, while recording with software play through on, changing the volume on a track doesn’t have any affect.

Many features in Audacity are only available while playback is stopped (not “paused” - stopped.) There are various technical reasons why this is so. Do you really need to enable software playthrough?

I know Audacity isn’t a full-blown DAW, but being able to mute/solo change volume while recording is basic.

In Audacity 1.3
To mute one or more tracks use the mute buttons.
To solo one or more tracks use the solo buttons.
To adjust the track volume use the track volume slider or the Mixer board.
To adjust the recording volume use either the recording volume slider or your sound card mixer.
To mute/unmute the focussed track you can also use SHIFT + U
To solo/unsolo the focussed track you can use SHIFT + S
Use the Up and Down keys to move track focus.
Ctrl+U to mute all tracks.
Ctrl+Shift +U to unmute all tracks.
To adjust the play volume of all tracks use the playback volume slider or your sound card mixer.
The solo function can be configured for different modes in Edit > Preference > Tracks.

Problem is though, changing volume/an and muting don’t work while recording. Try it!

On 1.2 and on 1.3.9 and all previous 1.3.x the Output Slider on the Audacity Mixer Toolbar works to control the volume of monitoring while recording (Iam on Windows XP-HE SP3).

In 1.3.10 a bug was introduced whereby that although the output slider moves ok it does nothing to control the volume (on either recording or playback in Audacity). Also the input slider is ganged with the output slider - moving one moves the other the same.

I have reported this bug to the developers.

Are you using 1.3.10?

WC

Works here on Audacity 1.3.11

Good to know - thanks Steve.

WC

Are you sure it works on Audacity ® 1.3.11-alpha-Jan 3 2010 (Unicode)?
I just downloaded and tried, but it doesn’t work
Run the audacity, go to transport and check software play through. Then press r to start recording.
On the newly created track, if you press shift+u, it’ll mute, but you’ll still hear the whatever is being recorded.
If you press shift+g and change the value of volume, it’ll play at the same volume even though the value of volume changed.

I’m not using Software Playthrough.
Why should I be using Software Playthrough?

Yes - you are bypassing the hardware by using Software Playthrough.

Software Playthrough is something of an emergency route for hardware that does not support monitoring, such as when recording from a USB turntable. It’s not really intended for monitoring in multi-track audio production. The latency inherent in software playthrough also makes it unsuitable for such things.

I’m routing something through virtual audio cable. All DAW supports routing through software because with direct monitoring you can’t hear internal effects like EQ or compressor.

Audacity isn’t a DAW, it’s a multi-channel sound editor.
“Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.”

DAWs use low-latency sound systems such as ASIO. Audacity is not able to be shipped with ASIO support due to licensing restrictions (because Audacity is open source and ASIO is not).

For real-time effects processing, you would be better to use a DAW.
If you want to stick with open source software I recommend using Ardour (on Linux).