Windows 7 Professional SP1
HP ZBook 15 G3, 64 bit, 16 GB RAM
I’m a longtime Audacity user, and I primarily use it to remove pops from vinyl rips. I just upgraded from 2.2.2 to 2.3.2, and I was ecstatic to see that a resizer has been added to the Play-At-Speed toolbar. However, after using the toolbar, I am devastated to discover that it has some problems introduced with the new Play-At-Speed functionality that are show stoppers for my primary workflow to remove vinyl pops.
- I typically work at 0.28, 0.04 and 0.01 times normal speed. As I choose slower times, there is distortion introduced at the beginning of the playback. At 0.01 or 0.02 times, the distortion lasts for the duration of playback of audio on the entire screen, completely obscuring the pops that I’m trying to locate and repair. I can’t repair the pops if I can’t hear and find them (most are too small to be identified only visually). I’ve attached a screen capture file “0.01 Distortion.MP4” that illustrates the problem.
- If I slide the Play-At-Speed slider control completely left, it sets it to 0.01 times speed. However, when I push the Play button, the cursor either won’t move, or will move for a bit, then stop, then move some more, then stop – very choppy. I’ve attached a screen capture file “Full Left Start-Stop-Choppiness.MP4” that illustrates the problem. I don’t know if the intention was to completely stop playback with the control at full left, but if so, it’s not working and it does nothing for me, plus the readout should show 0.0 times speed. I find it much more useful for full left to equate to 0.01 times speed and have the audio play at this speed when I push Play. If others have requested 0.0 speed at full left, then a configuration parameter should be added to allow a choice between 0.0 or 0.01 times speed (or enter a minimum speed) for people like me who need 0.01 speed at full left.
Please fix the two major problems introduced with the new Play-At-Speed toolbar functionality. These are show stoppers for removing vinyl pops, and until these are fixed, I’m stuck at version 2.2.2. (These problems are not present in the older 2.2.2 version.)
P.S. – I was so excited to discover that a resizer had been added to the Play-at-Speed toolbar that I sent you a donation, but that was before I discovered the problems introduced with its new functionality. I hope I have not jinxed my relationship with Audactiy because besides these problems, it is an amazing tool that I hope to continue to use.