Is it possible to select several files, Open with / Audacity?

Hi. I have Audacity 2.4.2 and Catalina.

It’s not a big deal, but in the past I think I could just select a bunch of mp3s on Finder, open with / Audacity.

Now it only works when I do it with Audacity closed. Once it’s already opened, it just does nothing.

Is… this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Works for me on macOS 11.2.3 Big Sur with 2.4.2 and the just-released 3.0.0

Testing with 3 MP3 files

1. With Audacity already open and using File>Import and Finder or drag&drop I get all three files in one project

2. With Audacity already open and using File>Open and Finder or drag&drop I get three files three different projects

3. With Audacity already NOT open and using Finder and Open With - or drag&drop onto the app icon in the apps bar or in FinderI get three files three different projects

Peter.

This is a known but very intermittent issue with Catalina. It happens on my Catalina iMac but not on my Big Sur Macbook. The developers have not been able to track down the culprit mainly because it doesn’t happen on any of the Mac computers that the developers own.

Is yours a newer Mac? I ask because mine has been updated many times over 8 years and may contain artifacts that don’t exist in new installs. Not that I’m keen to do a clean install just to deal with the one minor annoyance in Audacity!

– Bill

Thanks to both of you. My Mac is a 2018 Macbook Pro which was reset back to factory settings last December. It’s not a big deal as I can always open Audacity and click on Open from there. But it’s much more natural and easier to just have a normal flow and pick different files from Finder.

I will try to install a slightly older Audacity version or and if that doesnt work I will just upgrade to Big Sur. Thanks again.

Perhaps also worth trying a newer Audacity version. Audacity 3.0.0 is now available: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/

That’s the one I have. I think I will just drag them from Finder into Audacity. It then opens each mp3 in one track within a unique file. Better than nothing. Thanks guys!