Exception code 0xc0000005 on exit, version 3.5.1

I edit audio once a week at my office. For the fourth week in a row, I’ve gotten this exception code upon exit (after saving my project, exporting audio, and being asked if I want to save my project upon exit [yes]). The Problem Report for Audacity window pops up, but when I click [Send] I get an error “Failed to send crash report”. Same error occurs if I attempt to send the crash report again.

The first week I simply clicked [Don’t send] and went about my business, but the second week when I opened Audacity there was a file to recover. I recovered it, then did my weekly audio editing. Same error occurs each week upon exit. Same error occurs when I try to send the report. Each time now I copy the text of the Problem Report and save it (in case it can be sent some other way).

This week (5/21), I saved my project, then exited Audacity before exporting the audio from my project. The exception code error recurred as before.

I’m running Windows 11 Home on a fairly new computer (less than a year old). There are 702 GB free on the data hard drive, and it is optimized weekly by the operating system.

I believe this error has occurred every time I’ve edited audio with this latest version of Audacity (3.5.1), but I’m not 100% sure of that. If there’s some place I can send these error reports I’ll gladly do it.

I’ve just experienced exactly the same behavior with Audacity 3.5.1 on Windows 11. When I attempted to open the aup3, I had to recover it. Closing after that happened without an error, as did reopening and closing again. I’d post the error log, but I don’t see how to do that. I’ve used Audacity for many years without an issue, and I don’t think I’ve had a problem in 3.5.1 before now. Windows 11 has been updated as Microsoft decides to, so there has certainly been an OS update since the last time I used Audacity.

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one experiencing this! It happened again today. At least it doesn’t seem to be affecting exported audio files, and my original audacity files seem fine once they are recovered.

But it’s certainly an annoying extra couple of steps each week!

Hopefully we’ll get some answers soon from Audacity.

I’m experiencing the same problem… Hope someone will figure it out.

1 Like

Me too, Sam.

It continues to happen every week, each time I edit a new audio file. I now have 8 error files saved that wouldn’t send.