Does this pass ACX standards?

Apparently the macro is storing the last EQ curve which was applied to audio,
which may not be the one which currently appears in the filter-curve GUI,
(e.g. a preset curve which has been loaded, but not applied).

So just before creating/editing the macro, you have to apply the EQ curve to some audio
in order for those particular EQ settings to be incorporated into the macro.

Apparently the macro is storing the last EQ curve which was applied to audio,
which may not be the one which currently appears in the filter-curve GUI

That may be Unfortunate Program Behavior (bug). The Macro defines curve behavior. Filter Curve either follows it or it doesn’t.



OK, I think I got it. We should build in “Flatten” before applying a custom curve…I think.

This will be even more entertaining because I think the current Macro isn’t the one I wrote.

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 10.58.30 AM.png
Does yours have a comment line? Who wrote the current one?..[crickets].


The Audiobook mastering macro is working OK for me, I don’t think you need to change it.
Audiobook mastering macro working OK in Audacity 3 on Windows 8.png
The problem appears to be that the EQ filter-curve data saved in the macro for posterity,
is the last EQ curve applied to the audio immediately prior to the macro being created,
which can be different from the filter-curve which is shown when the macro was created.
One would assume the filter shown is the one being incorporated into the macro,
when it was the last one applied which will be saved, which could be a different curve.

Just tested on W10 with 3.2.4 and it works fine for me, not a bug …

Macro applied to project:

  1. Create Macro called EQ
  2. add Filter Curve EQ command
  3. Edit Parameters for RIAA curve (this tends to increase amplitude of the waveform)
  4. add command for export to WAV
  5. Import a known AAC file - I used a proper song not a generated audio
  6. use Filter curve EQ with Bass Cut (this tends to reduce amplitude of the waveform)
  7. Observe waveform amplitude decreased
  8. Apply the EQ macro to the project
  9. Observe waveform amplitude increased
    So the macro is using its preset RIAA and not the last-used Bass Cut

    Macro applied to file:
  10. before exiting apply the Filter Curve EQ with Bass Cut to make that the last-used
  11. Exit Audacity
  12. relaunch Audacity
  13. apply the EQ macro to the same known AAC file
  14. Import the resultant exported WAV file
  15. Observe the amplitude is increased
    => the macro is using the RIAA curve parameter that I set in step 3 and not the last used Bass Cut that was used again at step 10

Also note that
a) if you use Filer Curve EQ after you have run the EQ Macro than its shows the bass Cut Macro
b) if you edit the EQ Macro after you have run Filter Curve EQ with Bass Cut then you will see that its parameter settings are the RIAA curve
=> that the macro settings and the in app use of Filter EQ are properly independent as intended.


I’d like to deal more with this, but “Real Life” has intruded.

As we go.