Cassette tape to memory stick

Hi from France,
I’m having great difficulty transferring my old tapes to memory a stick, I have to first burn the music to a CD., then copy it from there to the stick, where am I going wrong?
Looking forward to enlightenment,
Cheers’
Ken Smith

You should have no ned to send the file(s) to CD first.

Either Export the entire audio to a single audio file (WAV, MP3, AAC etc) or us labels and Exprt Multiple to create a set of audio files.

You can either export these to tour preferred loclation on your PC and then just copy them to the USB stick with Windows Explorer - or you can Export directly to the USB stick.

WC

Thanks for your help, I managed to transfer a couple of tapes but the rest are full of static and other noises except when played on an old tape-player so I thought I’d try the ear-phone jack to the mic jack system but when I do the on board (PC) mic picks up every bit of back-ground noise there is available. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers for now,
Ken

Thanks for your help, I managed to transfer a couple of tapes but the rest are full of static and other noises except when played on an old tape-player so I thought I’d try the ear-phone jack to the mic jack system but when I do the on board (PC) mic picks up every bit of back-ground noise there is available.

What are you using when you’re not using your “old tape player”?

Assuming you don’t have a cassette player with a USB port, you should be recording directly into a line-input on the computer… You shouldn’t be using recording acoustically with the microphone, and you shouldn’t be using the external-microphone input either.

With the proper connection the digital recording should be virtually identical to what you hear when you play the tape. (And, there’s even a chance of some improvement with EQ or noise reduction, etc.)

[u]Here is some information about connecting your tape player to your computer[/u].

You can use an RCA line-output or a headphone output from the tape player.

If you have a desktop/tower computer with line-inputs (usually color-coded blue) you can use that. If you have a laptop with only mic-in and headphone-out, it’s best to get an external USB audio interface with line-inputs. (The Behringer UCA202 is popular and inexpensive.) Don’t buy a regular “USB soundcard” because they are like laptops with only mic-in and headphone-out.

I’m having great difficulty transferring my old tapes to memory a stick

Then, what are you planning on doing with the memory stick? If you are going to play the files on a computer, almost any audio format can work, but there are trade-offs …And, it’s a good idea to archive/backup your files so you don’t have to do this again, and you might want keep a lossless backup/archive even if you want (lossy) MP3 or AAC on the memory stick. (And then of course, your backup should be backed-up too, in case your back-up drive fails.)