While I’ve submitted this error dozens of times through the automated system for a half a year or maybe a year now (without it being resolved), I’d appreciate if someone can look into and fix this. I’ve tried various various version this year and this seems to be constant and easily reproducable on each of them. I am currently running 3.3.3 on Windows 11. I did not find a bug report forum, so posting here.
In short, I’m editing with the project file being stored on a network device (X:). Once the PC goes to sleep, the program failes to restore the connection (or something like that) once the PC is back awake.
There’s no error from awakening the PC itself. The “Audacity failed to read from a file in X:” error comes as I simply try to close Audacity. I then generally click “send” report.
The program does not close after this, remains open and I have to click X again (it then closes).
Upon opening the program again, it does not start, there’s an Exception code 0xc0000005 popup. I click “don’t send” or “send” report as always, then nothing happens.
I start the program again and are now greated by the automatic crash recovery. I select discard selected or skip as my open project (upon PC sleep) is generally always saved and there’s nothing to recover.
I can use the program as normal, until my PC sleeps again, forcing me to rinse and repeat the process.
Attached the main initial error, happy to provide anything else, but unless I’m wrong about the cause “not being my PC in this case”, this should be easy to replicate and validate.
The “Audacity failed to read from a file in X:” error can occur with an error in internal database table pointers and can indicate a database corruption has occurred. In this case the X: (or whatever it displays at) is not meaningful.
Cheers, I will report the issue at the HitHub platform.
While I do appreciate the possible workaround, I rather have a program that works like all other programs on my PC (as in not crashing after the PC has been sleeping). I don’t think that’s too much to ask… I also don’t personally see this having anything to do with the DB (the app is local, the project aup3 is remote… they just need to sort of how the app handles having lost access to the project file). Then again, I’m no expert, but hopefully it’s something the A team can resolve in some way or not. Thanks for the SQLite insight though.
The error reports are very helpful to figure out specific crashes if more context is given elsewhere (as you can’t submit context in Audacity itself due to privacy concerns), and to see if a class of crashes suddenly spikes upon a new release. I believe we’ve had one or two patch releases because of it
On my PC Adobbe Lightroom crashes/freezes if I leave it inactive “running” overnight - so not “all other programs”.
It is generally acknowledged to be bad IT practice to leave un-saved data held in any app that is left open (and unattended) for any period of time. Regular Saves and Backups are always a good thing to be doing.