Batch Process Macros Read Error


I set up a Macro Script to Level and Normailise my mp3’s

Add files and it seems to run the 1st mp3 file then crash with read violation error on 2nd file

If you run the macro on a single file works great

Seems with batch process fails

Any help would be appreciated


Audacity includes a macro by default that does that. It’s called “MP3 Conversion”. (I’ve just tested it in 3.2.1 - no problems)

I am using that Macro file

but the batch process fails on multiple files

The macro work on single files


Operating system: Windows NT
CPU: amd64
family 6 model 42 stepping 7
4 CPUs


Crash address: 0xd0
Process uptime: 3300 seconds

Thread 0 (crashed)
0 wxbase313u_vc_x64_custom.dll + 0x2fb7e
rax = 0x0000f1fd74ea0175 rdx = 0x00000000000000b8
rcx = 0x000000bd806fba00 rbx = 0x000000bd806fba00
rsi = 0x000001d637ff0390 rdi = 0x000000bd806fba00
rbp = 0x000000bd806fb9c0 rsp = 0x000000bd806fb810
r8 = 0x000000bd806fba00 r9 = 0x0000000000000016
r10 = 0x00007ffe04510000 r11 = 0x000000bd806fbc40
r12 = 0x0000000000000000 r13 = 0x0000000000000022
r14 = 0x000001d635943cf0 r15 = 0x000001d63e369498
rip = 0x00007ffdd32efb7e
Found by: given as instruction pointer in context

Stack contents:
000000bd806fb810 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
000000bd806fb820 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …P…
000000bd806fb830 b8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ca 45 99 fb fd 7f 00 00 ¸…ÊE.ûý…
Possible instruction pointers:

Now tried using Previous Version 3.1 works 100 %


Audacity 3.2.1 was released a few days ago and addresses this issue.

I updated and I’m still having the crash issue. Do you have any recommendations? (Thanks in advance)

So, a couple of totally different things you can try:

  1. Create an audio signal from an empty workspace via Generating > Tone. Save this tone to two separate mp3 files in a totally separate directory. Does your macro fail with these files?

  2. Run Tools > Reset Configuration, and try again.

  3. Close Audacity, then rename your audacity settings directory by:
    a) Click on the magnifying glass in your Windows Toolbar and type %appdata%
    b) Rename the audacity sub-directory to audacity-hold (note this will move your Macros directory, so you will also have to reenter your macro).
    c) When you startup Audacity, it will create a brand-new audacity setting directory. After your test, you may wish to delete this new audacity directory and rename audacity-hold back to audacity.

  4. If none of the above steps fix the issue, post the macro here (it may still be in your audacity-hold\Macros directory created in the previous step).