I have 3.0.5 and this happens with my current projects, recorded on this version.
I would also like to qualify my earlier comment.
The delays start with even smaller files or clips (5-10 min) and as the file gets larger, the delay increases and at some point becomes Audacity “not responding” i.e. frozen. Yesterday I was uploading the largest file so far (3.5 hr of voice recording) which took over 15 min, which is definitely not normal.
This issue comes up with file upload (open) which opens a new window, and with pasting a clip into an open project. Audacity is clearly struggling with processing large files.
With the older versions, this issue was sporadic. Once I updated to 3. version it became worse and eventually a consistent behaviour.
It doesn’t crash, but it takes a VERY VERY LONG time to process large files.
Is this with saved projects, or unsaved projects?
If it’s saved projects, where are they saved? (internal hard drive / ssd / network drive / One Drive / Google Drive / USB stick …)
How much free space is there on your computer’s main storage device? (hard drive or ssd)
Is has occurred to me that one possible explanation for this difference is that quite simply - since I started using Audacity about four years ago up until June this year I had been working with large files only sporadically. From June, I started working with 1 hr+ files on a weekly basis, hence the issue became more pronounced and more noticeable.
Even getting a new, much faster computer with Windows 10 last year didn’t ameliorate this issue.
I don’t know how widespread this issue is, but when I googled it, I saw several posts on various forums about it, which means it is not isolated to my computer environment only.
It may or may not be linked to any particular version of Audacity, but it does seem like the program’s weakness in handling large files which becomes pronounced under certain conditions.
My Windows is always up to date
SSD 1.4 TB
Have you tried to replicate this issue under similar parameters to my PC?
when I opened Task Manager during this freeze, the CPU and memory usage were not excessive, while disk writing was at 100% which I guess is normal (?). If not, then it seems that Audacity needs a lot of disk space or maybe doesn’t like competing with other programs for access to it.
I’m not an audio engineer, just an analytical thinker, so I would appreciate your expert advice.
I’ve done some testing with a 3 hour stereo track. As expected, some operations are rather slow.
I’ve never liked working on huge projects because of the inevitable sluggishness. I prefer to split huge projects into manageable size chunks (say around 30 mins each). 2.5 hours stereo with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz is around 3.5 GB of data, and if there were any effects applied, that could easily increase to tens of GB of “Undo history”. It’s not unreasonable for it to take several minutes to handle that amount of data.
Audacity 3.x does seem to take longer than 2.x due to the additional “compacting” steps. Nevertheless, 15 minutes for a 2.5 hour seems excessive and I can’t reproduce that amount of slowness.
I don’t often work with such big projects, but when I do I split the project as the first thing, then close Audacity, then work on the projects one at a time.
One way to split the project is by Exporting as 32-bit float WAV files (perfect copy of the audio data). These files are also useful as backups.