Audacity 3.5: Cloud saving, automatic tempo detection, and more!

We are excited to announce Audacity 3.5, which adds the following features:

Cloud project saving

We’ve introduced a new cloud-saving feature that allows you to save your Audacity projects to audio.com. This allows you to work from any device, share & collaborate with others and restore previous versions if something went wrong.

Automatic tempo detection

Audacity can now automatically detect the tempo of imported loops, and adjust them to be in tempo.

Tempo detection is done via both audio analysis and metadata checking. If you want to prepare your loop for automatic tempo detection without relying on audio analysis, both acidizer tempo tags or simply writing “123 bpm” anywhere into the filename work.

Automatic tempo detection can be disabled via Preferences → Import/Export.

Pitch shifting

You now can non-destructively change the pitch of a clip by holding Alt and pressing the Up and Down arrow keys. Alternatively, you can click on the overflow menu (…) and select “Pitch and speed…”. When changing the pitch this way, an arrow in the UI indicates how much you’ve shifted it.

and more!

There have been many other changes for this release.

• Added the ability to export labels as subtitle files.
  • Added an option to skip plugin scanning.
  • Added an overflow menu, and speed and pitch indicators for clips.
  • Various changes to a variety of features.
  • Removed some niche features to simplify the app. This should make Audacity a bit less overwhelming to use, and also will speed up future development as fewer things need to be considered.

A more detailed overview of these changes can be found in our changelog.

You can download Audacity on Audacity ® | Downloads

OpenVINO plugins are available for 3.5 as well now: Releases · intel/openvino-plugins-ai-audacity · GitHub

2 Likes

Amazing, Thank you! :heart:

2 Likes

We have a fleet of MacBook Air M1’s running macOS Big Sur and Audacity 3.5 crashes on launch on all of them.

We are currently sticking with 3.4.2 for now.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for the report. We’re investigating that.

1 Like

I have a brand new MacBook Air M3 running Sonoma and Audacity’s been crashing on me, too!

2 Likes

OK, this is interesting, because we’ve extensively tested that version for the past week. @KarenDeBonis and @ttyler1999, I’ll send you DMs so you can send me some more info if you want.

1 Like

i also have a MacBook Air, just attempted the upgrade and it is also crashing on me. I need the app (the older version is fine) by Wednesday, and attempted to look into how to restore it, but was unsuccessful. Could I receive help either restoring it in case it isn’t fixed by then?

2 Likes

I downloaded and installed 3.5.0.0 when prompted at launch, but this version wouldn’t open, only crash immediately, even after computer restart. After a second download and replacement installation, a new "Verifying Audacity"panel opened, but only progressed to half way before stopping. It is still on my screen, but the icon is no longer bouncing in the dock.
As I no longer have access to the previous version, I can no longer open any Audacity files. Help!

3 Likes

Try: Old Audacity versions download

1 Like

Thank you. This works again (phew). I was freaking out there for a while as it slowed everything in my computer, and some functions wouldn’t work at all! I hope you can iron out the wrinkles from the new version soon.

1 Like

Hey all, we found the issue with macOS crashes: Apple broke XCode-produced versions for macOS versions older than 12. We’ll try to find a workaround for 3.5.1.

3 Likes

I’m still missing the playback level display for Mac - and I really need that. Hope to find that fixed with the next update

1 Like

That is another macOS bug, it’s caused by macOS version 14.2 and is fixed in version 14.3.

1 Like

I downloaded and installed 3.5 on my Macbook Pro, OS 10.15.7. I crashes immediately on opening. Tried a restart, full uninstall (via cleanMyMac), and reinstall, with the same result.

Since it seemed un-obvious to me, here’s where I found the link to the last-known-good version 3.4.2: Old Audacity versions download

2 Likes

Al instalar la nueva versión me presenta un error.

1 Like

When could we have the solution? What can I do in the meantime?

1 Like

Hey all!

We just released Audacity 3.5.1. It fixes the following bugs:

• #6322 Fixed a crash on launch on macOS 11 and older.
  • #6324 Fixed the update notification looking for alpha versions instead of release versions.
  • #6321 Fixed a freeze when using macros on multiple files.
1 Like

I can confirm that 3.5.1 now works on our Macs.

Thanks Audacity team!

Hi, thank for the update
On my Linux system, all seems good with version 3.5.1
I have just a question about " Pitch shifting" :
the value is between -12 and +12 on the Pitch and Speed box.
When I change the pitch of a clip by holding Alt and pressing the Up and Down arrow keys, the value visible is between :arrow_down:9 and :arrow_up:9.
A value with two digits (10-11-12) is not visible when changing the pitch of a clip by holding Alt and pressing the Up and Down arrow keys.
Can someone can check please ?
Thanks