Accessing Metadata dialog locks Audacity when run from restricted Windows user acct.

On Windows 10, when running Audacity 3.0.3 from a restricted user account (i.e. not an admin), attempting to access the Metadata dialog (Edit > Metadata…) freezes Audacity, requiring you to kill the program. If you run Audacity as Admin, the Metadata dialog is accessible as normal.

I don’t know if this would technically be considered a “bug” or not which is why I posted this here rather than on the bug forum.

You are probably right. Your post isn’t getting much traction here, and the issue would probably end up there anyway.

Works for me on W10 with 3.0.3 - I just tested with an unprivileged account I use for user testing.


Also works fine for me testing with a non-privileged user account on my Macbook Pro running macOS 11.5 Big Sur with Audacity 3.0.3


Same for me on macOS 11.5 Big Sur w/Audacity 3.0.3. It works just fine.

But the lockup definitely occurs on Windows 10 running Audacity 3.0.3. So if this works without issue for you and others on Windows 10 with Audacity 3.0.3, then this seems to be a Windows system configuration thing specific to how my non-privileged account was setup. Incidentally, this lockup also occurs when trying to export (to MP3 for instance). After specifying MP3 filename and where to save it, the export is supposed to show the Metadata dialog and that’s where my system runs into trouble. However, it appears that pressing the Escape button cancels the frozen state.

Well, I guess this’ll require a post in the Windows help forum because I definitely don’t know how to resolve this and I just don’t use Audacity frequently enough to remember to run as Admin so I’ll be constantly forgetting this when I use Audacity.

Well, I posted something in the Windows forum but Steve locked it to avoid duplication and directed me to post here. However, since this has now become more a question regarding help relating to Windows & Audacity, it seems that forum (Window help) would be the more appropriate location for this than here since when posting here, it specifically directs subjects requiring help or potential “bug” reports to the OS help forums (see attached screenshot).

I agree. I’ve moved this topic to the Windows forum.

Re. the issue:
It should NOT be necessary to run Audacity from an admin account. In fact you shouldn’t run anything from an admin account other than admin tasks.
However, it is possible that your non-admin accounts could be too restrictive to run Audacity (or another app).
It’s also possible that a security app may apply restrictions on apps when run by a limited account that prevent Audacity from functioning correctly.

Is the Metadata dialog the only thing in Audacity that triggers the problem?

Good points. Just what I was thinking. As for the Metadata dialog, that’s the only thing I’ve noticed thus far. But I suppose it could be any dialog box of a certain type. This is actually what I thought was the case when I noticed the issue with exporting (until I realized that it was hanging when displaying the Metadata dialog, and then I was back to the Metadata dialog as the only known culprit).

It might be good to note that I upgraded from Audacity 2.4.2 to 3.0.3. In 2.4.2 I did not notice this issue (running under this restricted user acct).

As you are the only person here that can reproduce the problem, we are relying on you for information.
Please test to see if you can reproduce the problem with any other dialogs. Audacity has several different kinds of dialog, so if we can narrow the problem down to one particular kind, then that may give a clue as to the cause of the problem.

Did you get Audacity from here:
Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Audacity 3.0.3?

Have you tried resetting Audacity’s configuration (“Tools menu”)?

Agreed. To answer your questions:

I tried going through Audacity’s menu to try to find other things that cause this same issue. I didn’t drill down into every possible feature as far as they all go but one level deep (off the menu) I did try a lot of the menu entries. Thus far, nothing else has caused the issue. Only the Metadata dialog.

  • Yes, I downloaded Audacity from I always verify checksums when they’re provided and everything checked out.
  • 64-bit Windows 10
  • 64-bit Audacity 3.0.3 (audacity-win-3.0.3-64bit.exe)
  • Kicker: Resetting Audacity’s configuration resolved the issue!

I’ll try to keep that feature in mind for the future.

Steve (and all other contributors), thank you very much for your help! I’m glad it was such a simple solution.

Great stuff :slight_smile: Glad to hear you’re back up and running.