Quick De-esser question

Hi folks. Just wondering:

1. Is there a preferred De-esser you use for Acx and why?

(Okay I lied : 2 questions :smiley: )

2. What’s your process - manual removal or setting a general removal level, bit of both? ( On the whole piece or part by part)

New to this De-esser business.
Thanks

Nate

That’s the DeEsser and DeClicker by Paul L.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/updated-de-clicker-and-new-de-esser-for-speech/34283/1

We’re finding that if the Essing is too deep, DeEsser might turn it into other damage rather than just get rid of it.

I need to find a posting.

Ko

Your other message thread has the settings that Trebor used on your sample and a discussion of how to proceed.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/is-this-acx-sample-up-to-technical-standard-please/58145/1

I’m not the wizard editor. We should wait for one of the other elves.

The object of having a quiet, echo-free room (your “studio”) is so you can make clean recordings and not have to struggle and waste time with suppressing noises in your recording. Similarly, you should use a “clean” microphone that doesn’t cause sound damage and extra post-production cleanup and work.

You my have noticed that I don’t have a favorite microphone or recommendation. Given all the problems people have with "home’ microphones, I think you should be recording on a stand-alone sound recorder and not use the computer at all.

That’s a Zoom H1n and an older Zoom H4.

Other posters have had good results with H2n, H4n and even H6 recorders.

Koz

I think this was my ACX Audition using the H1n on a roll of paper towels in a quiet room. I should trace it back through the archives when it gets to be daylight again.

Oh, wait. I remember. The paper towel roll wasn’t high enough. I used three rolls of toilet tissue. Given conditions in the world right now, the tissue may be more valuable than the recorder.

Koz

I only know of two de-essers specifically for Audacity … De-Ess Plug-In For Audacity - #4 by Trebor

There are many de-esser plugins which will run in Audacity on Windows & Mac,
(I don’t know how plugins work on Linux).

Thanks folks