Holding down mouse and not able to use keyboard

Hello all,

New to the forum, just signed up as I recently updated my version of Audacity (I was probably a fair few behind) but now I have an issue when I’m editing that I didn’t have with the previous version. I hope I am able to explain it.

Usually when I am playing my audio track, I am able to highlight parts of the track using the mouse, and at the same time stop and start the audio as I go along using the spacebar. I am finding now with the update that I can no longer do that. If I am holding down the mouse button, I can’t stop and start the audio using spacebar. I have to let go of the mouse to play it. This is taking me much longer to edit than usual, as I can’t gradually highlight back to find my entry point. The only time I seem to be able to do it is if I click the right mouse button once highlighted, and then it seems to work, but just for that one time.

I fear I’m not explaining it correctly. But all I know is that in my previous version of Audacity, I could highlight and hold the mouse down while commanding with the keyboard. Now I have to let go of the mouse and only then can I use the keyboard to play or delete etc.

If anybody has any idea what I’m talking about and knows of a possible fix. Please let me know, Otherwise I think I’ll have to look for a download of an old version.

Thanks

Thanks, sorry about that. The bug (or restriction) is already logged on our bug tracker: http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1331.

The workaround is to use the different workflow of Timeline Quick-Play. Drag a selection in the Timeline above the blue waves and release the mouse to play that selection immediately, without the need to use SPACE.

Drag another selection at any time and release to play that selection immediately.

Gale

Thanks for your reply.

I’m not quite clever enough to understand what any of that means. For now I’ve just reinstalled 2.0.5. Maybe I can download the next version when that issue is resolved.

Cheers

Oh yes you are,it’s quite simple and staightfoward - honest :wink:

See this page in the Manual: Audacity Manual

It’s a very useful tool - you should find yourself using it a lot.

WC

I think it depends on the length you want to play. Timeline Quick-Play is convenient for longer regions because you can adjust them while playing and retain the boundaries.

For very short selections where the playback will stop before you can adjust the region, you really need to right-click the Timeline and choose “Enable dragging selection”. Even then it is more convenient to restart playback with SPACE than point the mouse at the selection edge in the Timeline where the mouse pointer shows left and right arrows.

Gale

What I generally do in that case is to enable dragging the region, then hold down the shift key while adjusting the selection so that the selection loops. I find that works well even with very short selections (less than 1 second), though it annoys the heck out of anyone else that can hear you working :smiley:

Apologies, I just started a new thread as I couldn’t find this one until now. I decided to try downloading the latest version to see if that particular issue had been fixed, but it would seem not :frowning:

I understand there may be ways around it, but I’m a simple man, set in my ways. I’ll go back again to 2.0.5

I disapproved your new topic so it won’t show up.

No-one said we would be fixing it. Indeed because the new behaviour is part of the design of the wxWidgets toolkit we use, the developers won’t be fixing it, at least not exactly in the way it worked before.

There is no need to go back as far as 2.0.5. You can use 2.1.1 to get the behaviour you want with all the bug fixes since 2.0.5: gaclrecords.org.uk.

Gale

Apologies. You said the bug or restriction had been logged so I assumed that meant it was being fixed. I’ll check out the version you mentioned. Shame it got taken away.