Workflow to take Audacity Projects to AAC in iTunes

Effects, Recipes, Interfacing with other software, etc.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Workflow to take Audacity Projects to AAC in iTunes

Post by waxcylinder » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:39 am

stevethefiddle wrote:If you are using Audacity 1.3.11 then most of the meta-data that you enter in Audacity will be written into the exported file. You can check that by opening a new Audacity project, importing the file then opening the metadata editor. Unfortunately that does not mean that other applications will see the tags, or that they will survive being transcoded into another format by a third party program. Different programs use different "standards" for id3 tags and compatibility from one application to another is limited.

I was recently exporting some FLAC files and when I opened them in one media player it looked like most of the id3 data had been lost, but then I opened the same file in another program and it was all there. Until there is a real standard for id3 tags and everyone agrees to stick to it there is no ideal solution.
Which is precisely one of the reasons that WC prefers to handle his metadata management in iTunes :)
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

theSeaHawk
Operating System: Please select

Post by theSeaHawk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:57 am

kozikowski wrote:It's not that easy. You can get stealth increases.

Say you have a performance rich in overtones and aggressive percussion. You apply the equalizer and roll off the high frequencies at some arbitrary value and when you apply it, you're astounded to discover that the sound appears to be perfect, but some of the peaks went up.

Without getting into the hurt-your-head math, some of the overtones you filtered out are responsible for reducing the level of the waves. No more overtones, no more reduction.

Several tools work like that.

Koz
Hmmm. I just came across this working with an older LP side. When I applied inverse RIAA, alot of the wave form went into clipping.... do I understand correctly that anything done to that file afterwards is compromised because the top of the signal was lost?

Irish
Forum Crew
Operating System: Please select

Post by Irish » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:04 pm

It's not the same situation, but the answer to your question is yes.

When you apply inverse RIAA, you are amplifying the high frequencies by up to 20dB, (and cutting the low frequencies by a similar amount). To avoid clipping, you need to make sure that the signal level, before you apply the equalistaion, is low enough to allow for the amplification.

If you use Effect > Amplify and set the "New Peak Amplitude" to -20dB, you will be sure to avoid clipping when you apply the equalisation.

And yes, if you've got clipping, you have damage that can't be repaired.

PO'L
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * Tips * * * * Tutorials * * * * 1.3 Quick Start Guide * * * * Audacity 1.3 Manual * * * * Audacity wiki * * * *