Ctrl+Shift+A to Unselect All

Currently, to unselect all selected audio, you press the Home key, which brings the cursor to the beginning of the audio (0 samples along the timeline).

There is a way to unselect all in the “Select” menu, and Ctrl+Shift+A is unused. Maybe, Ctrl+Shift+A can be bound to this menu item by default?

Why do you want to get rid of the selection?

Also, you can press the left/right arrow keys to jump to the left/right edge of the selection

And if you really want Ctrl+Shit+A - you can create a custom shortcut for it and map it to Select > None
See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/keyboard_preferences.html#custom

But I think LWintergerg’s workaround is much simpler - personally I hate 3-key shortcuts

Peter.

“Home” is bound to “Cursor to project start”.

If you want the cursor position to end up somewhere else, there is also:

• “End” - cursor to project end
  • “J” - cursor to track start
  • “K” - cursor to track end

and of course, “Click on the audio track” to move the cursor to the clicked position.

“Ctrl + Shift + A” is defined in the “Full” set of presets, and as you suggest, it is bound to “Select None”.
To enable the “Full” set of key bindings, see: Shortcuts Preferences - Audacity Manual

The “Standard” set of presets aims to enable the most commonly used presets, while leaving a reasonable number of keys unbound for user defined (custom) shortcuts.

Huh. I was aware that you could kind of do that, but I never used it because I believed that it move my cursor a few samples to the left or right after deselecting depending on which arrow key I pressed. That’s very interesting, I might start using this in the future.