Year tag of an MP3 file

Hello,

I am performing some effects on MP3 files that I have. At the end of the process, I export the audio to a new MP3.

The original MP3 had a tag with the year (see first attachment).

The export MP3 sees a wrong year (see second attachment).

Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance,
Marcelo
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

I’m using windows 10 and Audacity 2.3.2

It could be due to different data in the id3v1 and id3v2 tags. There are many different versions of the id3 “standard”. You may need to correct the displayed id3 tags in your media player.

[u]MP3Tag[/u] can read, write, and edit ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags. (And, other various formats if you have something other than MP3.)

I believe by default it reads & writes both but I’m not sure which one it’s displaying by default. But, you can check and edit if necessary and then save both.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean.

When I check the properties (in the Windows Explorer) of the original MP3, I see that the YEAR is right - 1945 in the example that I attached.

Then I enter it into the Audacity and display the Metadata (actually, before doing any change and export). The Metadata shows another value in the YEAR tag.

Can you tell me what’s the id3 standard that Audacity uses?

Looking at the images you’ve included, it looks like the Year tag that Audacity is reading is seeing the date 25-04-1945 in that particular tag, and is displaying the first four characters of it, as it’s expecting a 4-digit year. Just update it to include the year correctly.