Working with unbalanced stereo

Using A 2.0.3 DL on Vista

these stems were recorded from keyboard thru stereo compressor. I am then ripping them from CDr and importing the wav. I had some trouble at the time with either using the stereo link on the compressor, rather than two monos for a stereo mix: more often than not, it was a simple oversight having the button engaged- as with having the stereo linked, a sub bass that popped up on one side would effect the level of the whole mix. This was usually happening during some experimental sound/FX processing…so i was EQing and treating each channel independently.

Working with old “stems” recorded live and editing them in Audacity, that for the most part deal with a lot of stereo samples/sounds that for the most part, have some imbalance L and R- sometimes a snare or EQ-specific sound will inadvertently be more in one than the other. Splitting the tracks, then cutting/boosting EQ on one would take care of a lot, but let’s say you want a EQ-specific stereo widening effect for one channel- for example a snare that is panned to one side and you want it to show up in the other, also.

The hardware workaround for this i tried was re-dubbing: panning each channel hard left/right, then sending one channel, EQ’ing it, through a stereo delay, panning, adjusting wet/dry mix to taste. But due to the colored sound of the effects, it would add too much to one channel or be a real challenge …also, adding some inherent noise and level. So , basically, it is an EQ-specific Fx send…
I DL’d the Stereo Widener and Channel Mixer plugin and have yet to use then, but can these stereo effects be used on one channel instead of the entire mix? For example, in an experiment, i split a stereo track, then tried to apply the Phaser to one section (intro) of the channel and it wouldn’t do it. Got a Nyquist prompt. Sometimes, i just want to effect one channel and not both, or use two different effects in each channel in the same section.
Would another option be: copy the channel with the vocal, add new mono track, try to isolate it by EQ’ing everything else out, then panning everything/level/EQ to taste, rendering mix? I would probably still like to use some stereo effect on this mono track- some delay in the stereo-izing is OK, as i noticed many producers will send a snare through a HPF’d reverb also
to enhance the tails/high EQ a bit, as the kick and bass usually sit in the middle. Simply EQ’ing the whole mix to “add brightness” effects the whole mix, whereas EQ’ing one specific sound adds the needed detail.
I just wondered if anyone else has been mastering stuff like live mixes/recordings and had “tricks” they would like to share using the plug-ins

It’s a bit hard to see wood for trees here. :wink:

Is what I have quoted the main question?

Those effects are to be used on selected stereo tracks, but you could use the Track Drop-Down Menu on the upper track of two mono tracks above each other to make those into a stereo pair. See Audacity Manual .

Then if you wanted to you could redistribute the channel volume proportions using Channel Mixer. Open the plug-in on a stereo track to see what it does. It doesn’t do EQ or isolation. It can mix content from one side into the other, but it can only adjust the mix proportion of all the content from each side.

Use the Track Drop-Down Menu to split back to mono if wanted.

Please start a new specific topic about that, giving Steve the information he requested .

If these are already stereo tracks, use the same Track Drop-Down Menu to Split Stereo Track. Then select the left or right on its own.

If you have split the stereo track, drag the selection in both channels then the effect will apply to both channels.

Is this about putting the snare more into one channel than it already is? Yes if you can isolate it without destroying it, you can pan it as a reinforcing additional track wherever you want in the mix. It may be hard to isolate it.

Gale

One of my favourite tools when working with stereo fields is the Channel Mixer plug-in: Missing features - Audacity Support Simple but very useful tool.