While overdubbing the first track comes with the second on the same track

I changed yesterday to Audacity 2.3.0. I did a little this, I did a little that, anyhow, I touched things…I recorded a track and did a overdub. To my surprise the original track was on the second as well. This problem was consistent, and I tried a long time to solve it, but not. What is it and what can I do to get rid of it? Thanks, Peter

I recorded a track

And when you recorded the track from the internet, you set up for special conditions and settings. Those settings are incompatible with overdubbing.

Are you using a microphone? Audacity needs to be recording from a real physical thing like your microphone, not a magic software “fake device” such as Stereo Mix or What-U-Hear. So note what your microphone looks like inside the computer and make sure Audacity is recording from it.

A way to check this is unplug or disconnect your microphone system and Transport > Rescan in Audacity. Your device should vanish. If it doesn’t, then you’re recording Something Else and that’s where your problem is coming from.

There is another setting that can be wrong. Audacity > Edit > Preferences > Recording > [_] Playthrough should not be selected.

Koz

One more. Overdubbing, assuming a live microphone, requires headphones. It’s not optional. If you try to use speakers in the studio, the backing track will leak into the live performance.

Koz

Hi Koz, thanks for your reply. I must say that I am not unfamiliar with Audacity. I made some very nice multitrack compositions. Untill a few days ago, when this problem showed up. This morning it was still there. I played some keyboard, sang a little on the second track, but that track recorded the keyboard as well, with substantial latency of course.
As you suggested I looked at the Preferences/Playthrough thing: it was Off. What else can we think of?
Greetings, from a cold cold France, Peter

Without getting too far into the Clueless User territory, did you restart the machine? Shift-Shutdown will give a more complete shutdown than the regular one. Pause and Start.

What is the microphone and microphone system? What does it say in the little windows next to the microphone icon?

Do you use Games, Conferencing, Skype or other Chat APP? What changed at about the right time even if it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with sound or your problem? Skype in particular likes to take over the sound system and not tell you what it’s doing. What else is running at the same time as the recordings?

Koz

It’s working again. I did (tried) a complete shut down, pulled the plugs out and all. I restarted, reloaded an old project with several different tracks on it and -snap!- it got the message. Thanks for your time and good help, Peter