Where to save files for export

I am having trouble saving audio files in Windows 10. Can anyone tell me WHERE to save audio files in Windows 10 so that I can find them and export them to an mp3 file in Audacity?

Are you really a podcaster as per someone else’s podcasting topic you posted in? I am guessing not, so I started a new topic for you in the Windows board with a relevant title.

Gale

Assuming you are not logged in as an administrator, you have to save the AUP Audacity project file in your own user space, like your Documents or Music folder (C:\Users<your username>\Music, for example). When you click File > Save Project…, click in “Save in:” at the top to change where you save.

Modern Windows won’t let you save in the Program Files folder or in the top level of C:, unless you are logged in as Administrator.

Gale

Thanks, Gale :slight_smile: No, I am not a podcaster as of yet, but I have a program that I am working on including corresponding website and blog. I am studying how to do this and I am the newest kind of newbie to podcasting. I haven’t even gotten my equipment yet.

I am logged in as an Administrator and I have never had this much trouble with mp3 files. The old Windows program used to save audio files as mp3 automatically. When I record in Windows Recorder, I can pull up the audio files but the system can’t find them for export. Audio recordings are automatically saved under Music Tools and I can’t access the tab for Sound recordings because when I click on it (left or right) Nothing happens. Crazy, huh? Thanks anyway.

OK … there is a lot of information on the Podcasting board so I’m sure we’ll see you there before too long. But this topic is a more general one about Windows really.

This doesn’t seem to be anything to do with Audacity, though. Windows Sound Recorder has been replaced in Windows 10 by a new modern app “Voice Recorder”.

Does this help: Where Does Voice Recorder App Save Files In Windows 10 ?

Is there a reason you want to record in Voice Recorder rather than Audacity? Voice Recorder records in a lossy format (M4A) and has no way to save as MP3, but Audacity records to its own storage in a lossless format. To import the Voice Recorder M4A into Audacity, you will need to add FFmpeg to your computer as per FAQ:Installation, Startup and Plugins - Audacity Manual. And then if you export from Audacity as MP3 which is also lossy, you will have two stages of quality loss, whereas if you record into Audacity and export as MP3 you will only have one stage of loss (the MP3 export step).

By the way, to export MP3 from Audacity you need to add LAME to your computer as per FAQ:Installation, Startup and Plugins - Audacity Manual.

Gale

waxcylinder’s post did not come out correctly, but he may have been about to say that in the next 2.1.3 version of Audacity, you will be offered your own Documents folder when you save a project or export an audio file.

Gale