Where is the Waves plug-ins folder?

PLEASE HELP. My Mac is OSX 10.5.8 PPC G5. I just tried to install Audacity 2.x by both the dmg and by the zip. When I go to launch Audacity, I keep getting this window that asks Where is the Waves plug-ins folder? No matter what I select, it asks again and again and again. Audacity never comes up, and the only way out is to Force Quit. Please, someone has got to have a solution - this is frustrating. Thanks!

Do you have some demo/trial versions of any of the Waves plug-ins installed (or any other Waves products? It sounds like the problem could be doe to their product registration protection.

Now that you say that, I’m pretty sure that I do. Please forgive me as I’m not super-technical. With that being said, what would you suggest I do next? And thanks for the quick reply!

Waves 7, 8 and 9 Audio Units are not compatible with Audacity.

If VST or AudioUnit effects are not needed in Audacity, force quit Audacity, then open Finder, Go > Go To Folder and open ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/ .

Open audacity.cfg (or create it if it does not exist) then add or edit it so you have only the following lines:

NewPrefsInitialized=1 
    [AudioUnits]
    Enable=0
    [VST]
    Enable=0
    Rescan=0

Then try launching Audacity.

If you have some earlier version of Waves, then you could try licensing it. Audacity loads plug-ins at launch, rather than when you use them, so Audacity will relay the nag message from Waves every time it launches. Or just disable AU and VST plug-ins anyway using the above code in audacity.cfg.

Gale

Wow! Thanks sooooo much for your help. Setting up the .cfg as you advised totally did the trick! I’ve been using Bias Peak for so many years and now they are no longer. I always liked the way Audacity worked for me the few times I tried it and it was so frustrating when I couldn’t get Audacity to even come on. Thanks again guys for your help, I so totally appreciate it!

If you want VST and Audio Units effects in Audacity you’ll need to find the Waves plugins folder and delete it, or otherwise move it to a location where Audacity won’t see it.

Scroll to the bottom of this page http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Effect_Menu for the locations of audio plug-ins on Mac.

– Bill