For years I have created podcast loops of 6-hour lengths which I export in single wav files.
File size is a hefty 3.7 GB but this has always worked.
Now the required length increased to 8 hours and the file size is unsurprisingly 4.9 GB…
The indicated audio length in Windows is only 1 hour 14 minutes!
And in both the windows media player and VLC player, it really does stop there.
I have now been experimenting with different lengths. The trouble starts at the 4 GB file size boundary.
6h45min (4.18 GB) displays the correct length and plays all the way through.
6h58min (4.3 GB) only displays 12min and stops at 12min.
I have tried exporting entire files and also selected portions.
I have also tried a completely fresh project (8hours!!!) and still get the same result.
It looks very much like Audacity is using a 32bit length value for the WAV length header parameter.
I used 2.0.2 for a long time on Win 8.1
When I hit this problem last night I installed 2.1.1 with the new ffmpeg library (manually with zip, not exe installer)
The problem is reproducible in both versions.