Unable to record due to dropouts?

Hi.
So I have already recorded and edited several songs using Audacity and then one day, suddenly, it started saying that it detected dropouts and that my audio is lost (before I even record anything - this happens as soon as I press Record). I tried reinstalling, I tried closing every other app running on the PC, I did all the zooming shenanigans in the FAQ for dropouts, nothing worked. When I open up a differnet software (Cubase), I can record without any issue. Can anyone help?
auda.png

Thank you for the image. What version of Audacity are you on? What are you recording?

What are your directory settings? (Edit > Preferences > Directories)

Are you using network or internet cloud storage?

I am currently on 3.0.0, but I had the issue on the previous version.
I was recording music through a microfone connected via a TASCAM US1x2. Like I said, it worked no problem on several occasions. Bizzarrely, I managed (at least twice) to record one attempt on one track, and then as soon as I stopped recording on that one, I couldn’t record anything else (be it on the same track or different, even after restarting the program). I just click Record and it immediately stops, giving me the pop-up sent previously.
Directory attached below.
Everything is stored on and working off of my PC, about 2 years old, quite strong HW (built for gaming).
dir.png

I couldn’t record anything else

Could you play the track you just recorded?

even after restarting the program

My first choice would be restart the machine. Any time a program misbehaves or crashes, it can leave trash lying around and cause future problems.

“Sorry I crashed before I could clean up all that memory I was using…”

We may need to wait for the senior elves. This problem doesn’t lend itself to easy solutions.

Koz

I am having the exact same problem after the last update… I can not record my full-length audio without it dropping out after a few seconds.