Type of Ramp used for Fade-ins and Fade-outs?

Hi there,

I have been using Version 1.2.6 (but have downloaded V.2 today) and was wondering if anyone knew the type of ramp implemented when Audacity creates a fade-in or fade-out? Are they linear, or raise cosine etc.?

Thanks in advance!

There are several Fade-in/Fade-out plug-ins available.
Have a browse through this forum board: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=42
Please post feedback on any that you try - user feedback is vital information and much appreciated by plug-in developers.

Thanks Steve. I’m trying to back-track on work I did a while ago, so I suppose a more specific question is what the default fade-in/out would be for that version I used to use. I just selected the fade-in/out from the drop-down ‘effects’ menu without adding any plug-ins.

Thanks again!

Audacity 1.2.6 and all later versions have simple (linear) Fade In / Fade Out effects in the main part of the Effect menu.

Audacity 1.3.x and 2.0 has effects called “Cross-Fade In” and “Cross-Fade Out”. I don’t remember if these were available in Audacity 1.2.6 (I’ve not used that version for a long time). These effects are not really “cross-fade” effect (they don’t cross-fade anything), they just provide an alternative fade shape. The easiest way to “see” what these effects do are to apply them to a generated tone, then you can literally “see” the shape (it’s actually the square of a linear fade). You will find these effects below the dividing line in the Effect menu list.

There’s a list of fade plug-ins here: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/fade-plug-ins/19596/1
Note that these may not be complete - the most recent versions are usually available from the first post of a topic.

This one is pretty versatile: forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=29964

Great! I think they are linear so that makes sense. Thanks for your help and I’m looking forward to using Version 2 from now on!