Two tracks showing but not stereo [SOLVED]

I have been recording records from my audio-technica turntable for years. I just noticed that the two tracks are there but no stereo separation. They are both mono. I have Windows 10 but had no problems till now. As far as I can see, everything is set correctly. I also updated audacity. I am stumped.

Are both tracks from the same song? Are they the exact same track? Magnify or Zoom the blue waves and see if they exactly match.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/zooming.html

I don’t think there is a provision to record two mono tracks at the same time. Are they two unlinked tracks like this:
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 12.51.57.png
How did you connect your turntable to the computer? Did you upgrade your computer to a Win10 laptop and connect your mixer or Phono Preamp to the Mic-In of the laptop?

Koz

How are you connected? Is this a USB turntable? I hope you’re not using the mono mic input on a laptop…

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you sure the record is stereo? A lot of older records were mono.

Try the Remove Vocals effect. That might give you a clue… If the left & right channels are “digitally identical” everything will be “removed” and you’ll get dead silence. If it’s a mono record, it will be very quiet, but the vinyl record noise will be very noticeable.

It is a stereo record. Both bars show the exact same thing. When played back through my media player, the sound is mono. I always had good stereo results in the past, till now. Something changed.

How did you connect your turntable to the computer? Did you upgrade your computer to a Win10 laptop and connect your mixer or Phono Preamp to the Mic-In of the laptop?

Start answering questions. Newer machines have different methods of sound connection.

Koz

My turntable is connected to the laptop by a USB. I have windows 10, and the latest audacity. My records are in stereo. This just happened. I have always been able to record stereo in the past. What other info do you need?

What other info do you need?

That’s good for a bit. There is a very popular turntable connection error that gives a Stereo/Mono error.

Two graphics. The first one is two mono tracks. The second one is a stereo track (two blue waves) where the show is the same left and right. Which do you have, or neither one? Compare the left INFO panels carefully.

Koz
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 16.25.02.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 12.51.57.png

I’m not sure how that could happen with USB unless the turntable has gone bad.

Are your older files playing in stereo? Maybe it’s a playback problem?

What were the results of the “vocal removal” experiment?

Have you tried the green box in this FAQ How can I record in stereo??

It applies to Windows 10 too.

Gale

Thank you Gale. That fixed it. Much appreciated. Dave

I’ll mark this [SOLVED] then and lock the topic. Thanks.

Gale