trying to adjust latency with usb mic and scarlett

Hi -

I am recording audiobooks with my setup and would like to start using the punch and roll feature with Audacity. I have Windows 10 and the newest version of Audacity. I’m using a Marantz cardioid condenser mic (USB) and a Scarlett solo.
As it stands right now, there is a latency issue when the recording starts again, a little burst of sound.

I never did tune the latency because I wasn’t sure how to do it with my setup. I don’t think the standard audio loopback cable will work here.

Help anyone?

Thanks!

• Stacy

I suspect we’re talking about two different microphones.

This one?

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 4.30.46 PM.png
Sure. Plug that straight into your Solo with an XLR cable…

…and plug your wired headphones into the Solo. You might need an adapter.

Punch Direct Monitor so you can hear yourself, set up the recording latency in Audacity and go.

Piece of cake.

Koz

Thanks, Koz.

That is, I believe, the mic I have, and I have everything plugged in as shown.

It’s the “set up the recording latency in Audacity” that I am unsure how to do… ?

• Stacy

So apparently you have the Marantz Pro MPM1000, and not the Marantz Pro MPM1000U (USB) version. You are using the 3-pin to 3-pin XLR cable that koz has pictured to connect your Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) USB Audio Interface.

And you have your headphones plugged into the Scarlett and the Scarlett plugged into the PC.

I am thinking that you need to turn OFF Direct Monitor then hold your headphones to your microphone when you do your latency test: Latency Test - Audacity Manual

Then after you set your latency, turn Direct Monitor back ON.

But you have already figured all of this out for yourself. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps. :smiley: