Transferring cassette onto my Mac

Hi i have some old Andy Kershaw radio shows from the 80’s & 90’s on C90 tapes .
about 20 ! Any advise on how i go about putting them on my Macbook Pro
? Thanks in advance

Depends on the model/year of your MacBook Pro.

If it still has one of these “switchable” in-/out-connectors[1], you can connect it to the line-out of your cassette device or your amplifier.

If it is a later model, you need an A/D converter with a USB plug on one end.

On some later models / OS versions, the Griffin iMic worked fine (but it is no longer available, you may find it on flea markets etc.). It stopped working, IIRC, with MacOS 10.13 or so.

[1] I think the mid-2012 series was the last with this feature.

I’m a Windows guy…

I assume you have some kind of cassette player?

Ane I assume your MacBook does not have audio line-in? Just mic-in and headphone out? Or maybe no analog at all?

If you do have line-in (color coded blue on a regular soundcard) you can use line-out (the RCA jacks) or a tape deck, or a headphone output.

Otherwise, you’ll need a USB audio interface with line inputs. The Behringer UCA202 is popular and relatively inexpensive. (It doesn’t have a recording level control, which can occasionally be a problem.) Or there are lots higher-end audio interfaces with switchable mic/line inputs.

There is lots of information in the Audacity Manual - Tutorial - Copying tapes, LPs or MiniDiscs to CD. (Of course you don’t have to go through the whole process to burning a CD, which Audacity can’t do by itself anyway.)

Thanks for your input really appreciated

I have a 2020 Mac so only a headphone socket . Thanks for your tips

I’ve just ordered the Behringer UCA202. Thanks