Tape player

I have been using Audacity very successfully to copy my audio tapes to MP3. The program works fine, but the tape player has stopped working. How do I get a replacement, or is there some way an ordinary tape player can be used?

do you have an “ordinary tape player”? What sort? “Hi-fi” tape players can work extremely well, depending on what you have got.

Audacity does not make or sell USB tape players, if that is what you have.

What are the exact symptoms of the tape player not working?

If the tape player is still in warranty you may be able to get it replaced.

Gale

I a trying to copy audio tapes to my PC, which I have done for some time. But now Windows is saying it doesn’t recognize the device, and I cant get past that. I’m using Audacity 2.1.2, Window 10 Home, and the tape player is one I got with the audacity program. It is called ‘Super USB Cassette Capture’ by AGPTEK

You can try the procedure in the green box “Detecting USB and Firewire devices” on this page:
Audacity Manual .

But be prepared to just buy another USB tape deck if necessary. Most such are cheap rubbish, not to put too fine a point on it, with an expected life of a few weeks to a year or two.

Do you have a proper standalone tape deck? If so you can get better results from that. If your computer has a blue Line-In input, buy a stereo to stereo TRS cable and connect from headphones out or line out of the tape deck to the computer’s blue Line-In. Set Audacity to record from Line-In.

If your computer only has a mic port, buy a Behringer UCA 202 interface, and a TRS to RCA stereo cable. Connect from headphones out or line out of the tape deck to the UCA 202, then connect UCA 202 to an empty USB port on the computer. Set Audacity to record from UCA 202.

Gale

but the tape player has stopped working. How do I get a replacement, or is there some way an ordinary tape player can be used?

If the headphone output still works, you can use the analog connection as explained by Gale. But if you have a better quality “ordinary” tape player, use whatever gives you the best sound quality.

I have successfully copied tapes to Audacity, but when I try to convert it to MP3 I get a message; ‘Cannot open LAME’. I went to LAME and downloaded the latest version,but still can’t access it.

You need to download and install LAME as described here: FAQ:Installation, Startup and Plugins - Audacity Manual.

Gale