Split (bug?) causing weird bahaviour and huge project size

Hi Steve and waxcylinder,

Wow, those are some pretty impressive features that are planned, you have both restored some faith in me.

Of course the big question then has to be, when? Will there be beta releases in the meantime?

One big problem which I didn’t mention, is Audacity’s habit of using the same places to store info about plugins (presets) and your preferences.
I find this to be a big hinderance as when one uses (or tries) a new version, it messes up all the settings of the previous one.
Can I not request that each version have a unique place to store these?
It would obviously vary slightly depending on OS, but can’t a sub directory (under where the main executable resides) be used?

This is the biggest reason why I don’t even bother trying new releases, surely I’m not alone?

But given the planned features, I am prepared to get a standalone machine to experiment on.
Due to cost, it will probably be a windows machine and I’m assuming the minimum requirements for the latest Audacity will be
something like an i5, 16GB RAM and HD gfx (at least 1920 X 1080).

EDIT:

When will the audio level problem I posted about (already 2 years ago) be fixed?
It’s the problem of Audacity sending the wrong audio level (too high by up to 6dB) when using external plugins.
It affects all OS’s.

Others (including waxcylinder) have also encountered this problem: