Speaker volume slider affects recording volume

I am using 2.1.2 on win10 lenovo laptop. I am trying to record system sound using MME and it works fine except I thought
that the speaker volume slider (next to the recording slider) was not suppose to effect recorded volume. I wanted to mute sound
with slider so I don’t have to hear as I record. BUT it does effect volume of recording. Am I doing something wrong. Thanks in advance --Jeff

I presume that you selected “Stereo Mix” or “What U Hear” as the recording device?
I also presume that you are using a laptop computer with built in speakers.

You’re not doing it wrong.
Stereo Mix and What U Hear are two names for the same thing. “What U Hear” is a bit more descriptive of what it does - it record “what you hear”. If you lower the playback volume, then “what your hear” is quieter, so the recording is quieter.

If you make this type of recording very often, it may be worth buying a cheap pair of computer speakers that have a volume control. Plug them into the headphone socket of your laptop so that sound comes from the external speakers rather than the laptop’s built-in speakers, then use the speaker’s volume control to mute the speakers when necessary. Headphone with a volume control could also be used.

Thanks Steve,
Good suggestion regarding external speakers. I also could insert any 1/8" cable in headphone jack to turn off system speakers.
From what I have been reading on system recording with MME setting, I though I could use slider. I just finished recording a multi-hour playlist,
so the laptop was on all night. Totally different question: i just used analyze>silence finder to split my 60 song playlist and that didn’t insert breaks – any thoughts?

If you use Windows WASAPI loopback recording ( Tutorial - Recording Computer Playback on Windows - Audacity Manual ) then depending on the drivers of your audio device, you may be able to turn down the level with the Audacity sliders without it affecting the level you record at.

Silence Finder adds labels at detected silences. If you got no labels, reduce the silence level and duration in Silence Finder. See Silence Finder - Setting Parameters - Audacity Manual.

If you have another new question, please could you start a new topic for it. Thanks.

Gale

Thanks for the tips Gale!