Some assistance on Presets/post processing/EQ

Hello all!

Apologies if this is a topic that is probably overblown and repeatedly tackled.
I’ve recently got into voice over, had some success on some platforms and looked at redoing my original demo, as I believed I had got better with Audacity and the original demo did not have a great understanding of noise gate/compression/amplification or had any EQ on it.
It still sold…but I thought I’d like to improve on it. Since then, I’ve had less interest. So I assume I had over processed it, or there is something in there I’m not hearing that you audiophiles are screaming at me to stop. So I’d like to re-do a new demo, but not make the same mistakes.
How do I know/find out what EQ I should be using/acceptable levels of compressions etc. Happy to learn, just overwhelmed and looking for a steer in the right direction.

Hardware - Rode NT1A - Scarlette 2i2

Kind regards, Dean.

There’s a bassy resonance at 192 Hz …

TDR Prism | Tokyo Dawn Records (free)

It’s fixable with dynamic EQ which attenuates that frequency when it exceeds a threshold

before-afters

I did this manually using the free version of TDR Nova, but the easiest way is to use a de-resonance plugin like Sonible’s pureEQ, (30 day free trial, ~$30 to buy).

Hi Trebor,

Thanks for taking a look.
Forgive me for maybe being dense but, is that bad? I was half expecting a long list of things to change, but would it being a bit too bassy be enough to put off potential buyers? The previous demo was flat with regards to EQ and I know that the curve I applied was adding a bit more bass for “oomph” but wasn’t aware it would be that much of a problem.
Today while searching through options, I had found a musefx plug in, which does have various eq filters to apply. I assume I should be able to apply a similar curve and just watch how much it boosts that the 190-200 frequency?

Thanks again,
Dean.

192 Hz is a resonant frequency of your recording booth.
When the pitch of your voice coincides with that frequency your booth rings.
That resonance is annoying if you had to listen to it for minutes:
imagine a tune played on keyboard where one note was much louder than all the others.
The resonance also reduces intelligibility.

A fixed EQ reduction at 192Hz will help, but dynamic EQ provides better results.

[The free version of TDR Nova is the poorman’s FabFilter Pro Q .
Sonible’s PureEQ deresonates automagically]

Thanks, I think I understand.
I will look at finding a quiet moment tomorrow to make a new attempt at a recording, see what plug ins I can grab and post here to see if its on the right track or still needs more improvement. Thanks again.

I dove into the voice-over world and initially had some success with my original demo, which I created with basic skills in Audacity. I decided to remake my demo, thinking my improved understanding of noise gate, compression, amplification, and EQ would make a big difference. Surprisingly, after redoing it, I’ve seen a noticeable decline in interest.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.