I just downloaded version 2.0.0 on my Windows 7 computer with 4G RAM, replacing my old version 1.2. A pre-recorded audio file loads and displays normally, but on playback the cursor moves at approximately 1/100th normal speed; that is, it takes about 10 seconds to advance 100 milliseconds, and the sound is only static. Is this a known bug? Should I download an older version?
A pre-recorded audio file loads and displays normally, but on playback the cursor moves at approximately 1/100th normal speed; that is, it takes about 10 seconds to advance 100 milliseconds, and the sound is only static.
You want to take that again? A pre-recorded audio file plays perfectly except the cursor is messed up and the sound is static? That doesn’t sound perfect to me.
Does this play OK?
It’s very short.
Regarding the slow cursor problem: I didn’t mean to imply that the file “played” perfectly; only that the file loads and the waveform displays normally. It does not play back properly because of the slow cursor problem.
Please set the project rate bottom left of the Audacity window to 44100 Hz. Please choose Generate > Tone and click OK. This should give you a 440 Hz tone of 30 seconds length which sounds like A above middle C.
If that tone sounds correctly and takes 30 seconds for the green cursor to travel to the end of the track, please upload your problem audio file somewhere and give us the link so we can download it. Here are some free sites you can upload to:
At the very least, tell us what application created this file and what extension it is (the three characters after the dot and file name). If there is no visible extension, hover over the file in Explorer and it will tell you what type of file it is.
Please also (in Audacity) click Help > Audio Device Info… , right-click in the window > Select All, then right-click > Copy, then paste the information into your reply.
Note that you must have correct sound drivers meant for your version of Windows 7 and meant for your particular computer model. The drivers must be 64-bit if you have 64-bit Windows. Please see http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Updating_Sound_Device_Drivers for more help.
Thank you for your response. Concerning the sample rate, it is indeed set at 44100 Hz. Concerning the file, the problem occurs with any waveform, whether from a WAV or MP3 file. The same problem occurs with the generate 400 Hz tone, as you suggested. The waveform displays as a normal sine wave, but when played, the cursor advances at about 1/100th normal speed, and the sound is nothing but static. I have been using the older version of Audacity for several years, on the same Windows 7 computer, with no problems. Is there a previous version available that I can download?
Did you replace your computer as well as 1.2, or did 1.2 work until you stopped using it on your current computer? Have you changed your computer sound device since the problem started?
1.2 could crash on windows 7 when you press Stop after record, so I would not recommend it. You could use a previous Beta like 1.3.12, but it would still have more bugs than 2.0.0, and may not make any difference to the playback problem.
I would recommend your giving us the content of Help > Audio Device Info… as suggested before (so we know what audio devices you are using), and letting us know whether you have manufacturers’ (not Microsoft) drivers for those devices ( see http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Updating_Sound_Device_Drivers ).
Can you play any of the problem files in Windows Media Player?
Whether or not, please check the “Default Format” for your playback device in Windows. To check that, right-click over the speaker icon by the system clock > Playback Devices. Right-click over the “Speakers” or “Headphones” device for your computer sound device, then choose “Properties” then the “Advanced” tab. Try setting “Default Format” to 44100 Hz stereo. Tick both “Exclusive Mode” boxes underneath “Default Format”. Click OK. Restart Audacity then set the Audio Host in Device Toolbar to “Windows DirectSound”.
Gale, Thanks for your help. I followed your recommendation and fixed the problem. Somehow, the default sample rate for playback for “Speakers and Headphones” in Windows got set to 48000 Hz. I changed it back to 44100 Hz, then restarted Audacity and changed the Audio Host from MME to Windows DirectSound. The cursor then behaved normally.