Shure mv7 gain boosting on mic affect signal quality negatively?

I’ve got a shure mv7 in USB mode. I can boost the gain through the microphone but I am not sure what happens or if this is bad for the recording quality or not (which I am post processing anyway). I assume that it is using the DSP on the mic to do this? What I am not clear on is whether this will negatively (or perhaps positively) affect the signal to noise ratio or just have no effect. I know that on an audio interface boosting gain does not do so. The gain boost is handy so I can hear and SEE myself talk, but if the DSP gain (or whatever it is) is affecting the recording quality then I don’t want to use it.

ps don’t like this new forum software, how awful.

I don’t know about that mic but you normally want to control the analog level before it’s digitized.

Try recording (or listening to) “silence” with the volume turned-up and then with the volume turned-down.

The acoustic noise will go down at low/minimum volume but if ALL of the noise goes down, including any preamp hiss, that’s a good indication that the signal and noise are being controlled together and the signal-to-noise ratio is NOT being affected.

That’s a good idea. Thanks.

Hi, for what it’s worth, I have my Shure MV7 set to maximum gain and it works fine. I suggest that you check the settings first with the ShurePlus MOTIV desktop app. After you have set your preferences in the ShurePlus MOTIV app, verify the mic recording level in Audacity and follow the recommended min. and max. input level. Hope this helps.