Scratchy sounds

Hi,

When I record jazz from the radio I get a scratchy sound which is like one of 2 stereo channels but much lower volume and definitely “scratchy”. Does any one have any idea what this is and how I can eliminate it?

Thanks

I am using windows 10

Jack

Can you post a sample so we can tell what it might be? Does the recording meter go into the red?

Is this something that you hear in the broadcast, or something that only shows-up when the recording is played back?

If it’s only in the recording, we need to know about your connections… Do you have RCA “line” or “tape” outputs on your FM receiver? And are you plugged into the line-input on a regular desktop/tower soundcard?

which is like one of 2 stereo channels but much lower volume and definitely “scratchy”.

What?

Is this noise, where it’s constantly present and most noticeable when the music is quiet or silent?

Or, is it distortion that’s most noticeable during loud passages?

Hi,

Thanks for your replies and apologies for not responding more quickly, I have not been keeping so well.

The sound I am hearing is not in the broadcast, only when I play it back. I am recording radio 3 Jazz Record Requests from the internet radio 3 i player, and using my computers Gigabyte mother board on line sound card.

I usually save the Audacity recording to a usb stick which I then save on to a small laptop computer from which I listen to the recordings. The scratchy sound is also present if I play back from the computer I used to record the music.

The “Scratchy” sound does not seem to be related to the volume of the main sound, but it is not constant. I have difficulty in deciding if there is anything which correlates with the sound.

During recording, I have never seen the needle go into the red, so I don’t think it is overloading.

A major complicating factor is that I am profoundly deaf and can listen to music only with the help of a cochlear implant. I think it is unlikely that this is causing the problem, it is an amazingly high tech piece of kit and I have never heard scratchy sounds when I recorded onto tape. This does mean however that I can only hear in Mono because I only have 1 implant.

Thanks again for your help.

Jack

Can you attach a sample?

I don’t know how to attach a sample. Can you give me some advice?

Thanks

Jack

and using my computers Gigabyte mother board on line sound card.

Let’s clarify that…

You should be able to “capture” (record) digital audio streaming over the Internet without any noise or alteration. There is some information on [u]this page[/u]. If you are using Windows 7 or later, WASAPI Loopback should work.

Underneath the text box when you answer a post are the Save Draft, Preview and Submit buttons. Below them are two tabs: Options and Upload. Choose Upload.

“How to post an audio sample” , see … https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-post-an-audio-sample/29851/1

Hi,

I have selectrd a section which I think contains the scratchy sounds, altho’ i’n not entirely sure I have followed all the instructions correctly.

Odd.

I’ve listened to your sample. It sounds a bit thin, no bass, but I can’t hear any scratching.

A longshot: could there be too much high content in this recording for your cochlear implant’s DSP?

I can’t hear any defects on that file either, (although “jrr1” is a mono track , you said the problem was on stereo).
If the scratchy sounds you hear don’t reoccur in exactly the same place in the music, then I think the problem is the computer, (randomly glitching), rather than your built-in hardware.
You could try playing the audio-files on another device , rather than the computer, that would help determine if the scratchy problem is specific to the computer.

The sample sounds good to me. The trumpets stand out strongly, so I reckon they overload your implant. Recording from the radio brings out the frequencies that happen to match the implant’s most sensitive ones. Am I right in guessing that it’s tuned to pick up speech better than anything else? Our consonants give out higher freqs than vowels.

I’d try changing the tone settings until the distorted freqs are cleaned up. Another fix could be using a speaker simulator, preferably an Impulse Response loader. Distorted guitar sounds scratchy when recorded without going through a speaker. Simulators cut the scratchiness out.