Saving

Thinking about running Audacity 2.3.1 on Win7; Have used Sound Forge 9 for a long time, mostly in conjunction with Sonar multi-track. Typically one might record a track in Sonar and quickly send it to Sound Forge as a wave file to have a look at peak values, etc. Sometimes you might normalize, to punch up the level a bit, or compress, or whatever. Then, from Sound Forge, the .wav file is saved. Upon returning to Sonar, you click to save the file over the original .wav file in the multi-track project. From then on the Sound Forge processing is present in that track. That is, the .wav file that comprises that track is permanently altered; the edit was, as they say, destructive. (Possibly the unaltered, originally recorded .wav file might reside somewhere in the Sonar project’s audio folder, if you really had to have it - not sure.)

Here’s my question: would it be possible to do this same thing with Audacity? The reason I ask is that Audacity appears to require saving to an Audacity project file, rather than simply saving, say, a .wav file. I’m sure Sonar would choke on being sent an audacity project file when it’s expecting a .wav file.

Have any of you made Audacity the dedicated audio editor, mated up to a multi-track package? How do you handle this. Can Audacity’s ‘Export’ do this trick?

Thanks.

Yes, you “Export” if you want a WAV or other standard audio format. In your case there is probably no need to save an Audacity project.

There is an optional [u]ACX Check plug-in[/u] that’s handy for checking peak & RMS levels. Or for checking peak levels, the Amplify effect will indirectly report your current peak by telling you how much headroom you have. i.e. If Amplify defaults to +1dB, your current peak is -1dB, and if it defaults to -1dB, your current peak is +1dB, etc.