Running two versions

Mac tells me - wrongly, I think - that I’ve got another version of Audacity already running, and therefore won’t open. I know there’s been lots of talk about this before, but none of the solutions that have been posted solves the problem for me. I’ve spoken to Apple Support, and I’ve deleted this file - ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/ - in Folders and it still doesn’t help, even after I uninstall and reinstall. Oddly, though, I’ve just moved the Audacity icon from Applications to Trash, then tried to open it from the icon that remains on the Dock, and got TWO messages saying “You can’t open the application ‘Audacity’ because it is in the Trash.” Now that’s odd: somehow my system really does think that 1 = 2. Please help: I’ve got loads of audio work building up that I need to deal with.

I suspect that you’ve not done that correctly (because that is the solution).
Billw58 wrote precise instructions here: Says I can't open due to duplicate already running - #10 by billw58

We’re not sure why this problem occurs, as none of the developers or support people can reproduce the problem. To help us to try and find the course, could you give some additional information:

Which version of MacOS?
Do you use “Time Machine”?
Does your Mac automatically shut down when left idle?
Do you leave applications running in the background when you have finished using them?
How often (if ever) do you completely power off your Mac?

~/Library/Application Support/audacity/

The most common error in this exercise is to leave off the little squiggly line (tilde) character at the front. Way up left on the Mac keyboard. There is a sister location on the computer that doesn’t have that character. It’s easier to get to and it’s the wrong one.

Koz

I had a stuck application error (1), but I don’t remember which machine or the conditions.

My machines never go to sleep on their own. I put them to sleep manually, either Apple (upper left) > Sleep in the case of the Mini or Medium Press of the power button on the Air. The Air (against the objections of the System) never goes to sleep on shore power.

This is going to be particularly difficult because it’s not a casual error. I Need Audacity Running Right Now and I Don’t Have Time For Troubleshooting.

The Air is 10.13.6 and the Mini is 10.9.5.

Do you use “Time Machine”?

Yes, roughly once a week, and I do a “Plain Text” backup, too. /Users. All of it, and certain other custom folders and settings. I got burned with Time Machine not giving me access to stuff I needed. I recommend very highly going into Time Machine and see if it does what you think it’s supposed to.

Do you leave applications running in the background when you have finished using them?

Rarely, borderline never. Combinations are likely to be Textedit and Firefox, for example. Never major apps.

How often (if ever) do you completely power off your Mac?

Twice before each backup. The first Shutdown (not Restart) I generally sit there with my tea and watch it struggle to clear out all the trash in the background. Spinning Daisy, not Beachball. The second Shutdown should be snappy and short if everything is OK. I once had a First Shutdown fail. That will get your attention.

Koz