Running Audacity Latency Test/Adjustment Help

Hi. I’m new to music recording, and looking for some help hopefully. I am using Audacity vers 2.4.1, along with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen USB audio interface, and just one instrument - Yamaha keyboard with a 1/4" line input.

When I record along with a click-track of the song our group is doing, my track is just a hair behind the click track. I tried to research it and found this video by Audacity about doing a latency test and adjusting the settings.

Under “Doing the Latency test” I could generate the rhythm track fine. But when I record a new track in the next step, the rhythm track is not included in the new track like it is in the test shown there. I’ve tried tweaking the settings, no luck. Under Preferences I have “Software Playthrough of Input” unchecked, overdubs checked. For the input and output I have the Focusrite unit and I can hear fine through headphones plugged into it.

Any suggestions on how I can get the new track recording to include the sound from the rhythm (click) track, so that I can measure the delay and try and tweak it?



I can get the new track recording to include the sound from the rhythm (click) track

That’s not the best idea because that’s actually a sound channel defect and it can cause problems in normal production.

Do have a lead or cable that can fit from your Solo headphone connection into the Solo instrument in, in place of the guitar?

Go into record for overdubbing and you should get two tracks. The backing track and a second “instrument” track. The latency compensation is the time difference between those two tracks.

Add that to Audacity > Edit > Preferences > Devices > Latency > Latency.

Do the test again to make sure you got it right. It’s easy to go the wrong way the first time.


Thank you so very much. It took me a while to figure all this out. And also after the initial test and latency compensation adjustment and I ran it again, that I needed to add to, not replace, the previous latency compensation adjustment. Seems obvious in hindsight but…

In any case it seems to be working just fine now.

Thanks again for your help with this. Makes me enjoy playing and recording again!