Hey folks, I’ve got a weird issue. I have a several hour long dialogue recording I was editing, and there’s an isolated section, about 15 minutes long (pretty close to the end, but not exactly there) that I’ve run across where the audio is suddenly garbled.
Since the audio around the section is fine and you can still hear the voices, it seems like this is a data corruption and not necessarily a sudden mic issue(it was recorded in audacity, so I don’t have separate raw audio), I was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to repair, or at the very least, clean up this audio, as I’d hate to lose it entirely.
Did the audio get that way over several seconds and then clean itself up over several seconds? That sounds exactly like a recording error I got a long time ago. It’s almost like it’s trying to be two different recordings happening at the same time off rhythm from each other.
The bad news is it destroys the recording and it never happened again. That makes it impossible to trace and fix.
I just experienced this same problem, the last 2 hours of a 7 hour recording sounds just like your sample. It appears that I might have been running low on disk space. Very frustrating, but live and learn. I guess.
I would recommend that both of you guys update Audacity at your earliest convenience. A lot of work has gone into the last couple of version to make them more robust against disk write problems (may help to avoid similar problems in the future).
The current version is 2.3.0 and is available via the Audacity website: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/