Removing Repetitive Click from Audio file

I recently had an audiobook produced via Recordio app which broke the chapters up into discrete sections to be recorded. Unfortunately, Recordio changed their plan to provide post production work to seamlessly mesh all the sections together so that’s now left up to me and/or my audio production person.

I’m wondering if there’s a way to use Audacity to automatically remove the repetitive short pause and click produced at the start of each new section without having to go through and delete each one individually?

I’m working on a Mac OS10.9.5 and Audacity 2.0.6.

short pause and click

Short answer is no. The click noise is pretty deadly. You have to not only close up the “hole,” but find and repair the click noise.

Do the chapter breaks occur in the middle of words and sentences? I hope not. That’s very bad practice and very hard to fix, even manually.

I bet I know why they did that. If they have any significant number of submissions, it would be impossible for a production team to straightened it all out. ACX AudioBook has an automated robot that quickly peels off any submissions that don’t meet certain basic quality standards. Then a human Quality Control listens to what’s left and decides whether to go further. If that fails, they suggest some basic corrections before you submit again. Then it’s NEXT!

Every Third Person on Earth wants to submit for an audiobook. We even produced some custom tools and filters they got so popular.

Can you run the zoom tools (scroll down - bold)? Those are the ones I use. Drag-select one of the holes > File > Export Selected: WAV (Microsoft) and post it here. Include a couple of seconds on both sides of the hole (attached).

Scroll down from one of these text windows > Upload attachment > Browse…

Zoom (Mac)
– Drag-select something on the timeline and zoom into it. Command-E
– Zoom out a little bit. Command-3
– Zoom out full. Command-F

– Shift-ScrollWheel or Shift-TouchPadScrub will shift the timeline view left and right (sooner and later).

Change the timeline so it doesn’t shift by itself:
– Audacity > Preferences > Tracks > [_] Update display while playing. (de-select)
…Note: Update Display is good during recording.

Koz
Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 19.47.59.png

Thanks, Koz, for your help and detailed instructions. I’m finally able to get back to this issue and I think I followed the instructions to export one of the gaps with click. I’m not that familiar with Audacity. The little audio work I’ve done has been with Amadeus. I’ve attached the sample. Sure would be great if there was a way to instruct Audacity to ‘find and remove all segments like this’ - and then insert the example. :wink:

BRAD

If your example is typical, use Click Removal to reduce the loudness of the click, then Truncate Silence at default settings.

Because the click is now below -20 dB (the upper threshold limit of Truncate Silence), Truncate Silence will regard the click as silence and completely remove it, as well as the excess silence.

Attached.

Gale

Thanks Gale. I’ll give it a try.

Brad